Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles move to 2-0 after claiming solid road victory at Soldier Field

Rookie quarterback Carson Wentz picked up his first NFL victory on the road, as the Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) beat the Chicago Bears (0-2).

Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles move to 2-0 after claiming solid road victory at Soldier Field
Carson Wentz led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 29-14 victory over the Chicago Bears | Source: Jonathan Daniel - Getty Images
Philadelphia Eagles
29 14
Chicago Bears
Philadelphia Eagles: C. Wentz 21-34, 190 yards, 1 TD; D. Sproles 12 car, 40 yards; J. Matthews 6 rec, 71 yards
Chicago Bears : J. Cutler 12-17, 157 yards, 1 int; J. Langford 11 car, 28 yards, 1 TD; A. Jeffery 5 rec, 96 yards
SCORE: 1st QT - 6:11: Caleb Sturgis 25-yard field goal; 2nd QT - 11:16: Jeremy Langford 1-yard TD run; 2nd QT - 2:27: Caleb Sturgis 29-yard field goal; 2nd QT - 0:03: Caleb Sturgus 53-yard field goal; 3rd QT - 0:53: Ryan Mathews 3-yard TD run; 3rd QT - 0:32: Trey Burton 2-yard pass from Carson Wentz; 4th QT - 10:36: Ryan Mathews 1-yard TD run; 4th QT - 5:09: Eddie Royal 65-yard punt return

Carson Wentz continued to impress at the start of his rookie season, leading the Philadelphia Eagles to a 29-14 win over the Chicago Bears on Monday Night Football

The North Dakota State product threw for 190 yards and a touchdown, as the Bears slumped to their eighth home loss over the last nine games at Soldier Field.

Ryan Mathews ran for a pair of touchdowns from inside the five-yard line to help build the unassailable lead against a Bears team who lost starting quarterback Jay Cutler to a thumb injury during the second half and now find themselves 0-2 to start the season. 

Ryan Mathews and Carson Wentz celebrate an Eagles touchdown | Source: Stacy Revere - Getty Images

Sturgis kicks Eagles to half-time lead as Bears red zone defence manages to keep surging Wentz at bay

The now 2-0 Eagles were much more dominant than the 9-7 half-time lead suggests, with the Bears only keeping themselves in the contest thanks to some stingy defence close to their goal line. 

After watching Cutler get sacked by Malcolm Jenkins on the first possession of the game in what was a sorry three-and-out, Wentz led an impressive Eagles drive, connecting with four different receivers, including Dorial Green-Beckham on 4th-and-two. The drive eventually stalled and they were forced to settle for a field-goal following a sack from Sam Acho on Wentz at the Bears four-yard line. 

The home side then started to move the ball well on their second drive but failed to get on the scoreboard when Connor Barth hit the upright on an elementary 31-yard field goal attempt. 

The Bears then enjoyed their best part of the entire game, forcing a three-and-out of their own before Alshon Jeffery hauled in a huge 49-yard catch which set up Jeremy Langford to bulldoze his way over from the one-yard line as the Bears took a 7-3 lead. 

That was as good as it got for Cutler and the Bears, though, and they went three-and-out for the remainder of the half as the Eagles started to assert their dominance. 

An 11-play 77-yard drive which once again stalled in the red zone saw Caleb Sturgis kick Philadelphia to within one point, and then with half-time on the horizon, Wentz threw a perfect ball to the corner of the end zone only for Jordan Matthews to drop the sure touchdown, forcing Sturgis to enter once more to kick the Eagles ahead. 

Eagles capitalise on Chicago turnovers to move to 2-0

A quiet third period came to life in the final minute, with the Eagles capping an eight-play drive thanks to Ryan Mathews for a 16-7 lead before Nigel Bradham intercepted Cutler at the start of the Bears ensuing drive to set up first-and-goal from the two, with Trey Burton taking Wentz's pass into the end zone. 

With Brian Hoyer now under center for Chicago, another turnover, this time, a Langford fumble was capitalised upon once more by Philadelphia, as they ran the ball continuously before Mathews finally barged his way over from a yard out. 

The home fans did have one moment to cheer late on, with Eddie Royal returning a punt to the house from 65 yards out, but it was too little, too late as they drop their second straight game this season, while losing their starting quarterback among other injuries in the process.