As the brand split comes our way quickly a few of the VAVEL gang have come together and picked their top three superstars they would like to see return to the WWE.
3. Shelton Benjamin: This man should return to the WWE as he certainly deserves it. He has not done huge amounts outside of WWE since leaving, he has had a stint in New Japan introduced as Mr X and he has recently been in Global Force Wrestling as well as and a few shows here and there. With everyone who has been high on his work in the past, it could help him to get a look in.
A spot suitable for Shelton Benjamin is the higher Mid-card in a feud against the people like Sami Zayn or Cesaro anyone of those two match-ups would be incredible the shows would sell out on those matches alone without a title.
2. Ken Kennedy: This probably won't work with the way he left WWE the first time he was fired after he dropped Randy Orton on his head. Ken Kennedy was misused in the WWE the first time and he is a former Mr. Money in the Bank but never got to cash in and he was completely controlled because his character was too close to the Triple H character and that killed his momentum he chewed gum and he made jokes on the mic. After Kennedy lost his momentum he was drafted to RAW but he was lost in the card and had a losing streak before getting fired. If he got another chance and was left alone to a degree to his own devices he could be a main event star. TNA was enough proof that he can hold his own against Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, RVD, and Sting just a few big names he got pin falls victories over.
The thing is Ken can step in any position and make it work he would always make it work in many different positions on the card which makes him a good hand.
1. Jeff Hardy: This is the number one pick in the top three for this writer it cannot be stressed enough to say how much people would freak out with the return of the former WWE Champion it is amazing to think that people have always talked about his return and interest has been shown from both sides on his return since mid 2015. Jeff Hardy has said he wants to his career to be wrapped up in WWE and with the brand split about to happen this is the perfect time for Jeff to show up and bring his charismatic work back to the WWE.
WWE is reportedly calling him and have reached out and made contact with him and lets all hope he'll take them up. Since he left WWE he has been in good shape and for the past three years, he has been clean which will help his cause. With Jeff Hardy about to become a free agent lets all hope no more words will be said by TNA and let that song play in the WWE and have the worlds heads explodes
Jeff Hardy has amazing feuds awaiting him if he shows up in the during the brand split and it must be said where ever Seth Rollins is Jeff Hardy must go, they need this match to happen as it is a dream match of sorts because of the styles it makes it feel like a big match or even if Jeff Hardy got to take on the Demon, Finn Balor.
3. Shelton Benjamin: This is a man who many fans would argue was undervalued and underused during his original run with the company and is a wrestler who fans would welcome back in a heartbeat. Arguably the greatest and most consistent thing about the current WWE product is the in-ring quality itself. Right now the company has an incredibly talented roster from jobbers all the way up to the main event everyone can work and each PPV shows it. Shelton Benjamin's greatest quality was his in-ring ability, he was one of the greatest technical and high-flying wrestlers to appear in a WWE ring pulling out moves that had never seen before and adding that to the current roster would be a huge boost.
Would he be a World Champion? No, nothing has changed between now and when he last appeared in the WWE and the company will not be looking to invest in him that way but what they can have is an incredibly reliable talent who will put on great matches with anyone worthy of lacing up a pair of boots. Having him in the current impressive mid-card consisting of people like Kevin Owens and Alberto Del Rio will allow some fresh matches and fun stories and he is someone that the WWE Universe want to see return, therefore he will gain reactions.
With the likely push of American Alpha to the main roster, imagine Benjamin joining the tag team and forming stable with him pushing for a mid-card title whilst the former NXT Tag Team Champions go for the tag team gold, it has the making of something special. WWE will not be looking at bringing back several big main event names, they want to fill out the roster with talented workers and Benjamin is exactly that.
2. Hardy Boyz: Yes, this is technically cheating as this is two wrestlers but this author has no desire to see either return as singles wrestlers right now so it's a two in one package. Whilst the WWE certainly need to bring in talent to fill the singles roster, the tag team division can't be ignored either and with the company placing focus upon the division lately it would be a shame to see it go to waste during the brand split. Right now there are a lack of teams that fans can take as serious title threats and that is something that needs to be fixed.
Whilst teams like American Alpha and perhaps The Revival will surely get the call up from NXT the company needs to ensure that they have some experienced heads to guide these new teams and help get them over. The landscape of the tag team division is one of very new teams on the roster, which is where the Hardy Boyz come in. One of the greatest tag teams in history have plenty of experience and the fans would go crazy to see them return. They could help put over teams such as The Club or Enzo and Cass whilst perhaps being able to have one final run that the Dudleyz are still to receive.
Eventually of course the two can be split up and taken seriously as singles stars which makes them even greater signings and even though they are currently with TNA both have made it clear they would be happy to end their careers where it all began, so why not now?
1.Kurt Angle: Want to make SmackDown a big deal? A must see show? There is no better way than bringing back one of the greatest wrestler's of all time in the form of Kurt Angle, a man that fans have been begging to see return ever since the day he left. Now he is no longer with TNA it seems like the perfect opportunity for Angle to have one final run with the company and the fact he is still taking bookings on the indies shows his passion hasn't died yet.
Is he still in his absolute prime? No, he isn't, but he can still perform to a main event standard and work amazing matches whilst continuing to have the charisma and microphone skills that he has always had. Angle doesn't have to wrestle week in week out either, make him a big deal and a must see attraction with rare matches on SmackDown that are pre-advertised which is sure to bring in the viewers and then allow him to wrestle on PPV's. What better way to get eye's fixed on the first LIVE episode of SmackDown then by having Angle return in the main event.
He doesn't have to stick around for a year or anything long term as that may take a toll on his body, but why not a final run until WrestleMania? This way fans get to see plenty of dream matches with the likes of Seth Rollins or Finn Balor and he can have a final match on the Grandest Stage Of Them All before bowing out (hopefully towards a well-earned HOF induction the year after) in the way that someone such as him deserves.
3. Jeff Hardy: The Enigmatic Jeff Hardy was always a fun superstar to watch and his run to becoming WWE Champion was incredible. He is a superstar who it is hard not to be entertained by. Of course, he has his problems outside of the Squared Circle but in it, his death defying stunts help you to suspend your disbelief for a few moments.
His Swanton Bomb finisher was always one for people to attempt to replicate on trampolines, even if the WWE says don’t try it at home.
His entrance got you excited for his matches, whether you liked the music or the fireworks that followed his different body movements. Seeing that one more time in the WWE would be great.
2. Drew Galloway: As Drew McIntyre, Galloway was wasted during his initial run with the WWE. Since going away and returning home to Scotland, Galloway has captured a different style. He’s a legitimate fighter and his size partnered with his in-ring ability makes him an entertaining performer to watch. Like Hardy, Galloway is signed to TNA but both would likely to the WWE if given the chance.
If he returned to the WWE, they would need to steer away from his run with 3MB and focus more on his initial debut as ‘The Chosen One.’ If the WWE were able to really mold him as the Chosen One, he’d be a great returning superstar.
1. John Morrison: Morrison was different to Hardy and Galloway as he was used as a sort of middle of the road talent, despite being much more. His slow-mo entrance was fun to see and like Hardy, his music fit him and his style. Whether he was a heel or a good guy, It always felt like there was more to come from Morrison but he was never allowed to show it, kind of Dolph Ziggler.
Of course, Morrison has a good thing going with Lucha Underground and pulling him back to the WWE could prove problematic, but as always, money talks.