New York City FC, New England Revolution Play Out Draw In The Bronx

New York City FC had to settle for their second draw in a row at Yankee Stadium against the New England Revolution, who played most of the second-half with only 10-men.

Thomas McNamara bundled the ball into the net on 10 minutes after David Villa struck the crossbar, but Tierney’s deflected free-kick levelled proceedings before halftime.

Gershon Koffie saw red on 54 minutes, but it didn’t affect the outcome of the game as the Revs looked the more likely to go on and get a winner.

McNamara headed home after Villa struck the bar (Getty Images)
McNamara headed home after Villa struck the bar. (Getty Images)

Early Goal For McNamara And City

Patrick Viera’s men looked to take full advantage of being in front of their own fans in New York, and they did just that with a quick start and an early goal in the game.

The breakthrough came when McNamara reacted first to head home after a fantastic Villa strike that cannoned off the crossbar and came out.

Tierney’s Deflected Free Kick Levels Game

New England started to settle into the game as the game went on and after Teal Bunbury’s shot sailed inches over the crossbar, the Revs found an equaliser on 38 minutes.

Tierney scored his first goal of the season from a free kick from the edge of the area, but that was thanks to a major deflection off Steven Mendoza and past Josh Saunders, who could only watch it sail into the net.

Revs Down To 10-men As Koffie Sees Red

The Revs were struck a blow just after half-time when midfielder Koffie fouled McNamara and was issued a red card, leaving the Revs to play with 10-men for over half an hour.

Despite having a man advantage, it was the visitors who looked more likely to go on and get the winning goal in the game, and that didn’t go down with the home fans.

Charlie Davies found himself leading the break upfield on 75 minutes, and after going round the keeper struck towards the empty net, but Federico Bravo dove in front of the ball and cleared it off the line.

NYC FC went close in the dying stages (Getty Images)
NYC FC went close in the dying stages. (Getty Images)

City Go Close In Final Stages

The game was in its dying embers, but there was enough time for the home side to conjure up two more chances to seal all three points.

Tony Taylor lofted the ball into the path of Patrick Mullins in the box, but his header could only find the hands of Shuttleworth in the visitors’ goal.

In the final minute of injury time, the stadium thought City had won it with the final kick of the game, but McNamara fired his shot into the side netting.

That was the game and the two sides had to settle for a point apiece. New York don’t play now until April 11th when they welcome the Chicago Fire to the Yankee Stadium, while New England play the New York Red Bulls at Gillette Stadium.