Los Angeles Galaxy And Vancouver Whitecaps Play To An Uneventful Scoreless Draw
Photo provided by USA TODAY Sports.

The Los Angeles Galaxy failed to capitalize on being a man ahead for more than hour and left BC Place on Saturday with a goalless draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

The Domino Affect For The Caps

Wasted chances from LA and not being able to open up the Caps defense led to the Galaxy dropping two points on the road. Vancouver’s match was pretty much over when the referee showed Whitecaps midfielder Matías Laba a direct red card in the 28th minute. The Argentinean midfielder went in for a tackle with his studs out and hit LA’s Mike Magee ankle.

It seemed at first that the referee was going to show the South American a yellow card for the tackle. However, he changed his mind and reached for a red card. The Whitecaps faithful were stunned and the game was starting to spin out of control for their Caps.

There were more fouls committed then shots created between the Los Angeles Galaxy and the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday. Photo provided by Canadian Press,
There were more fouls committed then shots created between the Los Angeles Galaxy and the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday. Photo provided by Canadian Press,

In the 19th minute Vancouver’s creative mastermind Pedro Morales was forced to leave the game due to an injury. Midfielder Andrew Jacobson came in for the Chilean star. Then after Laba’s red card the Caps speedster Kekuta Manneh was subbed out of the game in the 43rd minute due to an injury. Costa Rican international midfielder Christian Bolaños replaced Manneh.

The Galaxy Fail To Break The Dead Lock

The half had not even finished and everything was going wrong for the Canadian club. Vancouver’s manager Carl Robinson was forced to use two of his three subs before halftime. The Galaxy had all three subs and time to eventually break down the Caps. However, LA was not able to take advantage of the scenario.

The offense did create 15 shots but only four of them were placed on target. In the final third, Los Angeles lacked the creativity and execution to threaten the defense.

One of the Galaxy’s best chances in the first half came in the 33rd minute when Sebastian Lletget flicked the ball to the right hand post from within the penalty box. However, Caps goalkeeper David Ousted was able to stop the shot and make one of his four saves.

In the second half the Galaxy brought in U.S. international Gyasi Zardes. He made an impact right away with his pace. The striker also nearly scored the opening goal in the 70th minute as he controlled a cross from Lletget and it hit his thigh and quickly released a shot. The ball was heading into the back of the net. However, a Whitecaps defender was able to deflect his shot, then, Ousted’s leg prevented the Galaxy from taking the lead.   

Where They Stand

Los Angeles is now in fourth place with seven points and plus four goal differential. The point for the Whitecaps has placed them in sixth place in the Western Conference with seven points.  

Who is Next For Them

Both clubs will be back in action the upcoming weekend. The Caps will be hoping that the injuries to Morales and Manneh do not prove to be that serious. The Five Time MLS Cup Champions will need to quickly find away to be an offensive threat without Robbie Keane. Since the Irishmen will be out of action for nearly a month and half for LA.

The Canadian club will be heading to RFK Stadium on Saturday to face D.C. United. The Galaxy will be hosting the Portland Timbers on Sunday at the StubHub Center.