Chivas wins Super Copa MX 2-0, gets Copa Libertadores birth
Chivas lift the SuperCopa MX trophy. | Photo: Liga MX

Chivas Guadalajara defeated Veracruz Tiburones in the SuperCopa MX by a final score of 2-0. Orbelin Pineda scored in the 44th minute while Omar Bravo struck deep into second half stoppage time. 

It was Pachuca though who had the first opportunity of the match. Leobardo Lopez’ header off of a free kick in the second minute of the match went close to the target. However, it missed wide of the near post. Carlos Peña, in the 12th minute, tried a near post header, but his attempt did not test the goalkeeper, as it went wide. Orbielin Pineda played a nice little ball to an open Angel Zaldivar at the 19 minute mark. Zaldivar, though, got closed down as he went for an attempt. The shot was still close to the frame, but it curled on the wrong side of the top left corner.                           

One of the better chances of the half came in the 24th minute. Omar Esparza whipped a corner in from the left and the delivery found Carlos Peña. Peña had acres of space in the penalty box but could not control the ball and fired his shot well over the cross bar.

Veracruz had a counter attack brewing right on the half hour mark. Daniel Villalva sprinted to the penalty box before try to thread a pass to Fernando Meneses. The pass was not angled properly and Carlos Cisneros drew a foul to win possession back.

Chivas finds goal at end of first half

On the stroke of halftime, Chivas finally found a way through. Orbelin Pineda made a darting run across at the top of the penalty box. He lost possession for a moment before winning the ball back and firing a shot past Pedro Gallese.

Orbelin Pineda celebrates first half goal. | Photo: Liga MX
Orbelin Pineda celebrates first half goal. | Photo: Liga MX

After Chivas scored, Veracruz nearly pulled level in stoppage time. Villalva created space for himself before ripping a rocket on target. Rodolfo Cota reacted well as he was able to parry a ball to out of bounds.

To start the second half, Peña went close to finding Chivas’ second goal. His attempt, however, fell straight into the arms of Gallese. Veracruz found had their first attempt of the latter half moments later. Julio Furch had an effort go wide of the right post in a dangerous position.

In his first bit of action, coming on as a substitute, Eduardo Lopez chased a ball down near the right corner and drew a foul in a dangerous area. Lopez then sung in a dangerous free kick that Gallese had to punch over the top of the goal.

With 10 minutes remaining, Peña was played into space. He took a touch before hitting an attempt on goal. But Gallese had come off his line slightly and punched the ball out of the danger zone. Peña was Chivas’ best attacking threat. He could make something out of nothing. As the 87th minute passed, he could have had his clubs second goal of the day. Unfortunately, his shot bounced inches wide of the far post.

Second goal added late

Deep into stoppage time, Chivas scored their second goal, the decisive one, in the fourth minute of stoppage time. Omar Bravo tapped in a square ball. Gallese was still at the right post and Bravo had the whole net to shoot at and did not fail.

That victoy also gave them a birth into next season's Copa Libertadores. Both of Chivas' goals came towards the end of either half.