Impact win first game back
(Photo: Paul Chiasson)

The Montreal Impact made their return to Stade Saputo and they received a warm welcome from fans in the stadium. That's right Quebec health officials had given the green light to allow 250 fans inside the stadium. For those wondering the actual capacity of the venue is 20,000. 

They were taking on the Vancouver Whitecaps who made the cross country trip for the match tonight. Impact head coach and manager Thierry Henry sticking his 4-3-3 formation which was used in the MLS Return to Play Tournament. 

To the game, we go and a minute in the Vancouver Whitecaps got the first free-kick of the match but Clement Diop made a great save to avoid giving up the early lead. The Impact would get their first shot on goal a minute later when Romell Quioto would get a great shot but Thomas Hasel made a save on the shot.

Victor Wanyama had another great chance to score the game first goal from distance but the shot was too high and sailed over the net. Montreal got a corner kick at the 15th minute but it was cleared away, three minutes later the Impact got on the board when Romell received a great cross in the air by Saphir Taider and was able to head the ball in for the 1-0 lead.

The goal seemed to push Montreal to play even harder but the Whitecaps were still given lots of chances to even the score. The Impact doubled their score when Lassi Lapalinen got a great pass from Emmanuel Maciel and managed to curl it past the keeper Thomas Hasal to make it 2-0.

The first half would end on that scoreline and we would go into halftime wondering if the Whitecaps would be able to get back into this game or if the Impact would be able to hold on.

The 2nd half began with the Vancouver Whitecaps making two changes hoping to spark the team and attempt a comeback. Three minutes into the half the Whitecaps got another free-kick but Clement Diop was once again up to the task and made a great glove save.

Vancouver got another chance with another corner kick but that one was cleared wide. A minute later the Whitecaps were awarded a penalty kick when one of their players was taken down in the box. Clement Diop came up huge once again making a great save and keeping the clean sheet intact.

Romell Quioto had a chance in the 66th minute to add another goal but Thomas Hasal was once again being a wall in the net. The Whitecaps once again had another chance on a set piece but kept shooting balls wide.

Despite Vancouver pushing hard for a comeback, they couldn't get anything past Clement Diop and the game ended 2-0. The Montreal Impact had their first win in a three-team format that will conclude in a spot in the 2020 Canadian Championship. The Montreal Impact will next play TFC on Friday at 7 pm at Stade Saputo.