Impact fall to TFC at home
(Photo: MLS)

The Montreal Impact and Toronto FC met for the fourth time since the restart and the Impact was looking to tie TFC for top spot in the 3 legged race for a spot in the 2020 Canadian Championship. TFC was on their first losing streak of 2020 after losing to Montreal one week ago at BMO Field and Vancouver.

The Match :

Toronto FC came out the faster team and in the third minute of the game Impact keeper, Clement Dip was forced into action early when he had to make his first save of the game off Jozy Altidore first shot of the game. Three minutes later they kept coming and had their second shot and Diop made a great diving save. 

At the 9th minute, Saphir Taider had the Impact's first real chance to score when Zachary Brault-Guillard made a cross into the box but he would miss the header. For the beginning of the first half, it looked like Toronto FC was the hungrier team and they were pushing for that big first goal.

TFC finally was able to get on the board as Pablo Piatti got a pass from Richie Laryea and beat Diop at the other side of the net for the 1-0 lead. Three minutes later Montreal thought they had scored when Romell Quioto got the ball past Toronto FC keeper Quentin Westberg but the flag went up for offside.

At the 38th minute, Quioto had a second chance on Westberg but Westerberg would come up with a leg save to send the ball wide. The first half finished with Toronto FC leading 1-0. Into the second half we go and this time Montreal came out the more eager team to level the game at one and keep their hopes alive of a potential spot in the 2020 Canadian Championship.

In the 53rd minute once again the Montreal Impact thought they had a goal when Victor Wanyama would head the ball into the back of the net past Westberg off a free-kick but once again the offside flag went up.

The Impact players complained immediately and the match referee David Gantar who decided to go to VAR to have a second look at the play to see if it was actually offside or not. Upon further review, the play was deemed onside and the goal counted and the game was tied at one.

TFC went back on the attack and four minutes later had another great chance when Richie Laryea took a great shot on goal but once Clement Diop was there to make the save and keep the game tied. At the 80th minute, Jozy Altidore went in on Diop but the Impact keeper stoned him.

8 minutes later Altidore got his revenge when he managed to get a shot past Diop that went through his legs and into the back of the net for the 2-1 lead. Altidore was seen chirping the Montreal Impact fans at Stade Saputo after the goal.

At the 90th minute, Montreal brought in Anthony Jackson Hamel off the bench and two minutes later he went in alone on Westberg but this time the Toronto keeper made the great save. That save would seal the win for TFC who are now 6 points clear in the three-team group.

Toronto is now in a wait-and-see situation whereas Montreal will head out west to play a pair of games against the Vancouver Whitecaps starting on Wednesday.