Montreal Impact end winless streak, beat Columbus Crew
The Montreal Impact finally ended its winless run with a victory over Columbus Crew (Photo: Kyle Robertson)

The Montreal Impact were looking for their first win since September 13th and were facing a tough task in the Columbus Crew on the road at Mapfre Stadium with fans in attendance.

Slow start but fast finish :

The first half started and it began with both teams looking for the opening goal to give their team the lead. Three minutes into the half, Amar Sejdic off a horrible defensive miscue had the first shot of the game on goal and he would hit the post.

After that chance, it was pretty much back and forth with no team able to get through. We didn't see a shot or offensive chance until the 21st minute when Gyasi Zardes got the Crew's first shot but it was grabbed by Impact keeper Clement Diop.

Two minutes later, we had our first goal of the game when Lassi Lappalainen off a rebound would put the ball in the back of the net for an early 1-0 lead. The official would end up calling offside on the play, but it went under review and the goal was given.

We jump to the 29th minute and off a Columbus corner, Diop would come up with a save to keep the Crew at bay. 12 minutes later with another free-kick for Columbus but Diop again was keeping his team in the game.

One minute later Zachary Brault Guillard had a chance to increase Montreal lead but his shot would go off the side of the net. The Crew would finally level the score as Zardes off a deflection from his chin would get the ball in the net to make it 1-1.

That was the last action of the half and both teams went into halftime level at one.

A tight second half :

For the first 10 minutes, it was once again a back and forth game but no chances came out of it. At the 56th minute, Youness Mokhtar had a shot on goal but it would go wide and it looked like the Crew were attacking and the Impact was sitting back. 

Four minutes later and some concern for Montreal as Lassi Lappalainen would injure his shoulder and he would be replaced by Maxi Urruti. A minute later Columbus would get another chance to take the lead but the shot was once again saved by Diop and the domination was on.

Youness Mokhtar once again would get his second shot in as many minutes but Diop was there to push the ball away and make the save. The Impact at this point struggled at this point in the game to get the ball out of their zone.

In the 71st minute, the Impact was handed a lifeline when Montreal was awarded a penalty for a push in the box, at the beginning, there was no call but upon further review by VAR, the penalty was awarded. Bojan stepped up to the spot and put it past Andrew Tarbell to give Montreal a 2-1 lead.

Five minutes later the Crew kept coming but this time they were looking to tie the game when Pedro Santos would get a shot away but it would sail wide. Three minutes Santos again had another chance but Diop this time with a great save.

Columbus kept attacking while the Impact was sitting back defensively on its lead trying to run out the clock. At the 83rd minute, Derrick Etienne Jr would get another shot on target but the saves kept coming from Diop.

We went into extra time and the last chance of the game when Fanendo Adi had his shot at goal but Diop with a huge save to basically seal the victory. The whistle blew and the Impact five-game losing streak was over. 

The Impact will next play the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on Sunday and will be without key players Jukka Raitala and Lassi Lappalainen who will fly to Finland tomorrow to join the national team for the Euro 2020 Qualifiers.