ATP World Tour Finals: Andy Murray Starts His Journey With Win Over David Ferrer

Andy Murray joined Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer as the first men to pick up a win at the ATP World Tour Finals. The Brit, with the home crowd behind him, defeated David Ferrer in straight sets.  

Murray Breaks Late To Take Opening Set

The match started with a very aggressive Ferrer getting up to the net and attacking the Murray backhand. In the first game of the match with Murray serving, it went to deuce, but the Brit held and took the early lead. 

Ferrer was playing aggressively and covering all corners of the court. The tireless Spaniard kept on grinding, which is his style of play, to get it to one-all.

Ferrer nearly had a chance to break in Murray's first service game but in the second, he hold at love, playing an absolutely stunning service game. Ferrer started to drop his level but in the middle of the next game, he hit a couple of stunning drop shots, one to save a break point and another one to close the game, which went to deuce. He leveled the score at two games all.

It was another love hold for the crowd favorite as they continued to get behind their man. Ferrer looked spent from all the running he did in the first two games as the world number two was dictating the middle of the court.

While serving for 4-4, Ferrer saved three break points going to the HawkEye Challenge System a few times; he was not satisfied with the line judge team with those missed calls. At deuce, he hit another drop shot but Murray anticipated it beautifully and earned another break point which Ferrer saved again. It was a long game for both men, but the Spaniard prevailed for 4-all.

Andy Murray almost held at love again, but David Ferrer won a point, that didn't affect Murray who held with the help of the net. Ferrer serving to stay in the set but Andy was stronger and broke to take the first set 6-4. Murray nearly held at 15, but the momentum from another strong service game helped the Brit break to take the opening set 6-4. 

Ferrer Breaks Early Only For Murray To Storm Back To Take The Set

To start the second set, Ferrer knew he had to do something and he did. He broke Murray at love to start the second set. In the second game of the second set, the HawkEye was called upon two more times. Ferrer found himself in trouble when he had game point and double-faulted. He quickly readjusted his tactics and held to give himself a two games to love lead.

Murray held at love to lower the deficit, but Ferrer kept playing well despite always having tight service games. He held to regain the lead by two games at three to one. 

The Brit still had no troubles in his service games, always holding easily. Ferrer got broken while serving for 4-2 as Murray leveled the set 3-3. It was another easy hold from Murray who kept is tactics on point. Then the Spanish number two held his serve, again with difficulty while Andy held again easily. The match was 5-4 to Murray, who broke to win the match in 1 hour and 30 minutes with the score of 6-4, 6-4.