As you all know, VAVEL USA does roundtables for every Grand Slam… and now Masters 1000s/Premiers events for a matter of fact. With lots of writers making predictions and picks, we decided to add a little twist to the roundtable contest. We ask the writers eight questions, but seven of them will be counting towards the point total. Just like ESPN, whoever has the most points at the end of the Grand Slam season will earn full bragging rights.
The Eight Burning Questions
- Who is the favorite? After looking at the draw, who are they most likely to lose to and why?
- Who is the dark horse for the title and why?
- Which top 10 seed has the most difficult draw and why?
- Which non-seeded player could make a run into the second week and why?
- Which first round matchup intrigues you the most and why?
- Which young gun/rising star puts their name on the map or proves they’re the real deal and why? Note: Must be 23 or younger
- Which top 10 seed gets upset first and why?
- Who are your finalists and champion? Why?
The Points System
The only question which does not have points is the favorite one because heading into a tournament, favorites are obvious heading into the tournament.
Dark Horse pick: One point for each win
Top 10 player toughest draw: One point per set lost (Additional points for a loss). 1st round loss=10 points, 2nd round loss=8 points, 3rd round loss=6 points, 4th round loss=4 points, Quarterfinal loss=3 points, Semifinal loss=2 points, Finals loss=1 point, Title=0 points
Non-seeded player pick: Two points for each win
Intriguing first round matchup: One point if match is close/high-quality
Young Gun/Rising Star: Two points for each win
Top 10 seed out first: Two points
Finalists: Five points per finalist
Champion: 20 points
Current Men's Roundtable Points Total After The Australian Open
Writers who participated in the Australian Open roundtable: Pete Borkowski, Joshua Coase, Oliver Dickson Jefford, Bryann Paul Aguilar, Joely Cook, Chris Spiech, Grace Cooper, Laurel Moyse, Paul Choi, Glenys Furness
|Dark Horse||Top 10 seed toughest draw||Non-seeded player||Intriguing first round matchup||
|Top 10 seed out first||Finalists||Champion||Total|
Current Women's Roundtable Points Total After The Australian Open
Writers who participated in the women's Australian Open Roundtable: Pete Borkowski, Oliver Dickson Jefford, Bryann Paul Aguilar, Pavitra Ganesan, Chris Spiech, Pan Mich, Max Gao, Laurel Moyse, Paul Choi, Glenys Furness
|Dark Horse||Top 10 seed toughest draw||Non-seeded player||First round matchup||Young Gun/Rising Star||Top 10 seed out first||Finalists||Champion||Total|