ATP Stuttgart: Rain limits play on day three

Rain limited play to only two completed matches on Wednesday at the Mercedes Cup, with Roger Federer’s return being cut short midway through the first set. Still, the home fans were lucky enough to see a pair of their home-hopes emerge victorious in the two completed matches. Here’s what happened on day three in Stuttgart.


Philipp Kohlschreiber was the only seed to take the court on Wednesday. The seventh seed was taking on American Denis Kudla, who was coming off an impressive first round win. Kohlschreiber was strong on serve, getting just enough done on his return to claim a 7-5, 6-3 victory and advance to the quarterfinals.

The opening frame was tight right until the end when Kohlschreiber broke Kudla while the American served to stay in the set to claim it. The German only dropped one point on his first serve in the opening set. The playing field was a little more level in the second set. Both players grabbing a break of serve, while Kohlschreiber grabbing a decisive second break and riding it into the last eight.

Florian Mayer plays a backhand during his second round win. Photo: Thomas Kienzle/AFP/Getty Images
Florian Mayer plays a backhand during his second round win. Photo: Thomas Kienzle/AFP/Getty Images

Qualifier Florian Mayer topped countryman Michael Berrer in an all-German encounter, with the Bayreuth-native defeating the local man from Stuttgart 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Mayer got out to the quicker start, dominating the opening frame and breaking twice, including while Berrer served to stay in the set at 3-5. The Stuttgart native returned the favour in a nearly identical second set, with Berrer breaking early and grabbing another at the very end to send the match to a deciding set. In that final set, Mayer buckled down on serve, limiting his opponent to one break point, which he saved, and scored the lone break of the set to advance to the quarterfinals.

The most anticipated match of the day got started, with Roger Federer making his return after a month out with a back injury. The Swiss was taking on American young gun Taylor Fritz, and led by a break at 4-3 when rain forced the pair to return to the dressing room. The match would be delayed until tomorrow, as would the other matches on the schedule. Assuming the rain subsides, all second round matches will be completed tomorrow.