Charlton 2-1 Hull City: Gudmundsson late winner ends toothless Tigers unbeaten start
Charlton end Hull's unbeaten start to the season.

A late winner from Johann-Berg Gudmundsson ended Hull's unbeaten start to the Championship season as injury ravaged Charlton keep theirs and dominate the game.

The hosts dominated the game, as first half substitute Karlan Ahearne-Grant fired a shot wide from three yards out. Simon Makienok however scored his first league goal five minutes into the second half as he connected with a Johann-Berg Gudmundsson cross to head his side into the lead.

This seemed to kickstart the visitors as more chances were coming from the Tigers. Abel Hernandez was first to react to a spillage from home 'keeper Nick Pope as Arsenal loanee Isaac Hayden took a shot from far out. The away side had a goal disallowed as Hernandez was in an offside position when he headed home.

However the hosts got their winner in eight minutes of added time as Gudmundsson headed home past Hull 'keeper Allan McGregor after linking up well with Makienok. Addicks boss Guy Luzon was sent to the stands for celebrating the winner.

Charlton were forced into a pair of changes due to injuries. El-Hadji Ba and Zakarya Bergdich came in to replace Chris Solly and Tony Watt respectively. Meanwhile Hull made only one change with Nikica Jelavic coming in for Abel Hernandez up front.

Yet Another Injury

The first half failed to deliver many real chances, with the story of the half being yet another injury for the hosts. Around 25 minutes in Cristian Ceballos hobbled off with an injury and was replaced by youngster Karlan Ahearne-Grant.

As the injury list built up so did the amount of chances Charlton had on goal. If anyone were to have scored in the first half it would have been the hosts. The first true chance took a whopping 22 minutes to materialise.

Bergdich fired a shot on goal from range, but it defelcted off Michael Dawson and out for a corner. This was to set the tone for the half as neither side really looked like breaking the deadlock in the first period.

However merely seconds from the end of the half Ahearne-Grant missed the best chance of the half. Alou Diarra flicked on the ball to the young substitute, who managed to fire his shot over the bar from three yards out.

Makienok Gives Charlton Lead

However Ahearne-Grant's miss wasn't too significant as the hosts took a deserved lead. Big striker Makienok with his first league goal for the club. He headed home a Gudmundsson cross and gave the hosts the lead, and on the balance of play, it was fair.

It seemed the goal opened the floodgates for Charlton as Gudmundsson found himself one on one with Hull 'keeper McGregor, however the Scot made a great save to deny the Icelandic midfielder.

Hull's first real effort came on the hour mark, as the usually threatening Chuba Akpom fired a shot on goal which was well saved by Addicks 'keeper Pope. This appeared to be the  last action of his game as record signing Hernandez replaced him.

Hull slowly grew into the game as David Meyler volleyed from distance and were starting to threaten but Charlton still looked the stronger side. Steve Bruce brought on Sam Clucas in order to try and give the Tigers more of an attacking threat.


In the last ten minutes the efforts came firing from everywhere. Sone Aluko, his late winner secured a win over Fulham in midweek, fired from 25 yards, but failed to threaten Pope. Hernandez followed this up but his curled effort was deflected out for a corner.

The Tigers got an equalizer which on the balance of play didn't seem fair. Hayden fired a shot at Pope which the 'keeper spilled into the path of Hernandez. The £10 million man put it in the back of the net to give Hull a pint, or so they thought.

Late, Late Winner

In eight minutes of added time, Gudmundsson struck. Makienok played the ball into his path and the winger made no mistake in heading it past McGregor an giving the hosts three points.

Hull's unbeaten start to the season was over, but Charlton however march on, and now sit third in the table. Not bad for a side who were relegation favourites before the season started. Hull stay in the top six, dropping down to fifth.