England Under-17's 1-1 Guinea Under-17's: Three Lions held in tournament opener

A penalty miss from Martin Edwards proved too be costly for England’s Under-17’s as they settled for a 1-1 draw with Guinea in the opening match of the Under-17 World Cup  

Ro-Shaun Williams had the first real opportunity before the missed set piece from Edwards before the African side began to get an increasing foothold but Alifie Whiteman managed to produce two great saves to keep the scores goalless.

Edwards had a chance to redeem himself at the beginning of the second period before Kaylen Hinds took the lead just after the hour mark, however the points ended been shared when Naby Bangoura equalised leaving Edwards to dwell on his penalty miss.

England’s bright start

It was England that the made the brightest of starts when Edwards played a dangerous ball in from the corner when it fell to Williams but his effort was just over the crossbar.

It almost went completely the opposite way when there were strong appeals from Guinea for a penalty when James Yates denied striker Yamodou Toure his shot at goal but the appeals were waved away.

England’s big miss

The Three Lions had the best opportunity to take the lead 12 minutes before the break when Edwards was brought down and it was the Tottenham youngster who stepped up to take the spot.

The 16-year-old fluffed his lines however as his poor spot kick was easily saved Moussa Camara and the opportunity went begging.

Guinea stepped it up

After that near miss the African counterparts stepped up the game and had two great opportunities just before the end but Tottenham man Whiteman did brilliantly to produce two excellent stops.

Fode had the final opportunity of the half as he attempted the turn and the snap shot bit his effort was just wide of the mark  

Sizzling second-half

It was England who hit the ground running at the beginning of second half and it was Edwards again as he tried to redeem his earlier miss as he stood over a free-kick in the 54th minute but it was deflected over the crossbar by the wall.

Guinea as managed to latch onto a mistake and break down the field but Whiteman proved to be the hero once again as he produced a good save in the one-on-one situation.

Lions Lead

Just before the hour mark England managed to take the lead, the Arsenal duo of Chris Willock and Hinds combined brilliantly as Willock played a dangerous ball into the area and Hinds was on hand to head home from five yards out.

Guinea equalises

Edwards’ regret at his penalty miss earlier in the match showed his ugly head once again when Guinea equalised with 13 minutes to play.

England’s commitment to attack ultimately cost them when Jules Keita played an excellent ball that split open the defence and Bangoura did brilliantly to coolly slot his effort beyond the reach of Whiteman and into the bottom corner.