Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Liverpool: Klopp's first game ends goalless despite encouraging start

Jürgen Klopp's reign as Liverpool manager got off to an indifferent start as they drew 0-0 against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

The Reds struggled to create many goalscoring opportunities throughout his first game in charge, after Divock Origi had struck the crossbar with a header just nine minutes into his first league start.

Klopp's side invited pressure onto themselves after they struggled to maintain their energetic style of play despite an excellent start - and were indebted to Simon Mignolet - who made two terrific saves to keep the scores level before the break.

In a quieter second-half, both sides fashioned a number of half-chances - Origi coming closest for the visitors after Adam Lallana had a penalty call turned down in front of the travelling Kop, whilst Mignolet was again on hand to deny Harry Kane.

Ultimately, however, neither side could find the telling goal as both sides were forced to settle for a point - with Liverpool keeping a first clean sheet in nine games, lifting them one place up the table into ninth.

No Sturridge for Reds as Klopp hands Origi first league start

After a week of injury setbacks, with Danny Ings and Joe Gomez suffering ruptured anterior cruciate ligaments within a day of each other - Klopp was left without first-choice striker Daniel Sturridge after he failed a late fitness test on a swollen knee.

That meant Divock Origi, having played just 17 minutes for the Reds in the league, led the line - supported by attacking midfielders Philippe Coutinho and Adam Lallana.

Meanwhile, youngsters Jerome Sinclair, Conor Randall and Pedro Chirivella were on the substitutes' bench as Klopp's senior side was severely hampered by various injuries.

Mauricio Pochettino was also forced into changes, as Eric Dier's suspension meant Moussa Dembele came into the starting line-up - whilst Ben Davies was dropped in favour of the returning Danny Rose at left-back. 

Away side start with energy and intent in North London

With the new Reds boss having vowed to implement a braver and bolder style of exciting football, it was the visitors who started the brighter side in the opening quarter of an hour, as they made good on Klopp's promise football from the off.

Playing with new-found confidence, they took the game to Tottenham fearlessly, putting them under immense pressure with high pressing. And their impressive work-rate almost reaped rewards as they came close to an early breakthrough in the ninth minute.

James Milner's outswinging cross from a corner was met by midfielder Emre Can, who flicked a header towards the far post where Martin Skrtel and Origi laid in wait. It was the Belgian who met the ball, steering a header goalbound which struck the underside of the crossbar before bouncing back up off the line, allowing Harry Kane to eventually scramble away the danger.

But despite the visitors enjoying the better of the early stages, Spurs steadily grew into the game and began to carve out more opportunities as substitute Clinton N'Jie - who had replaced the injured Nacer Chadli - almost got on the end of a cut-back inside the box, but the sheer number of Liverpool bodies meant the ball couldn't quite squeeze its way through.  

Clear cut chances were few and far between throughout the first half an hour as a tight tactical battle ensued, with Liverpool's eagerness to push forward and restrict the time and space available to Spurs players meaning they struggled to gain a foothold.

Spurs grow into the game as Liverpool concede string of avoidable errors

But as Liverpool's energy levels faded, Pochettino's side were granted a way into the game. An individual error from Lallana, who conceded possession deep in his own half, gave the home side their first real opportunity as Kane released N'Jie, whose outside-of-the-boot curling shot was destined for the bottom corner had it not been for Simon Mignolet's superb left-handed intervention.

Spurs continued to grow in confidence as Liverpool struggled to maintain their performance for the first 30 minutes, with Christian Eriksen almost sliding a through ball in for Kane, who was admittedly slow to react allowing Mignolet to race off his line and meet the ball first.

But Kane and Eriksen looked dangerous in tandem, combining more freely as the game opened up, requiring Mamadou Sakho to step across and dispossess after the Dane's neat flick into the striker.

Liverpool - who posed a threat from set-pieces as Skrtel's powerful header prompted Kane to block once again - were forced to rely upon some stout defending to keep themselves in the game. Mignolet was called into action to deny Kane what would have been his second goal of the season with his feet, before Sakho's excellent block prevented Dele Alli's well-hit strike from beating the Belgian.

Spurs came close again just five minutes before half-time as Skrtel misjudged the bounce of a long ball, allowing it to drop to N'Jie, who hit a dipping half-volley which only narrowly zipped over the crossbar.

Both sides exchanged chances as the away side broke forward, but Can's speculative long-range shot was blocked before Lallana's curling shot was weak enough for Lloris to gather comfortably.

Ultimately, neither side could break the deadlock - though Spurs retreated into the interval having been the better side towards the end of the first 45 minutes.

Spurs start second half stronger but can't find the first goal in dull second-half

And they started the second-half in similar fashion, with centre-back Toby Alderweireld just inches away from meeting Eriksen's cross from a free-kick into the six-yard box, before Kyle Walker tried his luck with a low drive from 30-yards, though Mignolet was barely troubled on both occasions.

After an enthralling first 45, intensity levels began to drop noticeably around the hour mark as neither side posed any great deal of threat at either end.

After a scrappy phase of play, which saw few chances, Lallana was left furious with referee Craig Pawson after he went down under pressure from Alli inside the area looking for a penalty.

In front of the away supporters, the 27-year-old screamed at Pawson to point to the spot - but the match official gave nothing as both sides struggled for goalmouth action.

But in a complete contrast to the first half, neither side were dangerous enough with their end product - and chances came at a premium as the game entered its final 20 minutes.

After referee Pawson allowed play to go on despite a number of fouls in the build-up, Origi tested the palms of Lloris - who had been untroubled for much of the game - but it was a relatively routine save for the French shot-stopper.

Klopp brought on Joe Allen for his 100th Liverpool appearance late on in an attempt to shore up the midfield and add some extra legs, but Mignolet was again called upon to keep his side on level terms - palming Kane's deflected shot from the edge of the box past his post.

The German made another late change - bringing Jordon Ibe on in the final minutes, but though his dribbling run eventually resulted in Can whistling a shot from range narrowly wide, his introduction couldn't inject sufficient spark into Klopp's side to take the victory - as  they drew for the fifth time in their last six in all competitions.