Bournemouth 3-3 Everton: Stanislas rescues Cherries in eighth minute of stoppage time
Junior Stanislas was the hero on the South Coast on Saturday afternoon. (Photo: Fanly)

An equaliser in the eighth minute of stoppage time from Junior Stanislas meant Bournemouth and Everton shared the spoils on the South Coast on Saturday afternoon, their encounter producing a thrilling and dramatic 3-3 draw.

Despite the hosts' positive start, it was the Toffees who led at the break by a two goal cushion thanks to a header from Ramiro Funes Mori and Romelu Lukaku's 10th of the season.

However, a beautiful strike from substitute Adam Smith inspired the hosts in the second half, with them coming from behind to level at 2-2 with just three minutes to go - Stanislas with the goal.

That wasn't the end of the scoring though, with Ross Barkley seemingly breaking the hearts of those at Dean Court late on as he squeezed his shot in under substitute 'keeper Ryan Allsop in the fifth added minute.

However, the Cherries refused to give in, and in the eighth minute of stoppage time Stanislas equalised for a second time, heading in Charlie Daniels' cross to ensure his team got something from the game at the death.

Bright start by the struggling hosts

Despite being low on confidence as they came into the game, without a win in seven, Bournemouth started brilliantly in front of their home fans and enjoyed the better play of what started out as a very open encounter.

Dan Gosling really should have put the Cherries ahead after only three minutes too, but he couldn't find the target inside the box after latching onto a great ball in from Stanislas.

The creation of this opening spurred the side on though, with Matt Ritchie hitting the target from 25 yards before Josh King went on a mazy run and stung the palms of Tim Howard, with the loose ball cleared by Everton's defence.

Cherries punished after failing to make the most of a good spell

However, the underlining theme of this good start was that Bournemouth were failing to capitalise on it and not taking their chances. Soon, their dominant spell came to an end too and Everton started their own, from which they were posing an even greater threat with their high pressing in particular causing problems.

Errors galore started to occur in the Cherries' defence as a result and so chances galore were coming for the Toffees, who took the lead with 25 minutes gone after battering their opponents' goal for a good five minutes.

Having produced three brilliant saves from Adam Federici in that spell, Everton finally beat the on-form Australian when Funes Mori headed in Barkley's corner - which, incidentally, was conceded by the 'keeper when he thwarted James McCarthy from 20 yards out moments prior.

The Toffees kept up the pressure after scoring too, and would double their lead before the break when Lukaku used his strength to see off the challenge of his marker and slotted home Gerard Deulofeu's through ball with ease.

They had not been peppering the Bournemouth end in the build up to this goal like they had been for the first, but the visitors were more than comfortable in the game and now had the breathing space they deserved, whilst ensuring the scoreline represented the manner of proceedings thus far.

The home side's response was a decent one, with John Stones forced to clear off the line after Steve Cook headed goalwards from a corner, but this was the only time they really threatened before the break as they went in having been second best since the 20th minute.

Second half sub gives Bournemouth hope

The way that Bournemouth came out after the interval was much better, however, Gosling and Ritchie keeping Howard on his toes with a couple of shots at goal. Daniels' effort just before the hour was the first one to really test him though, the American getting down well and parrying as the Cherries continued to put the pressure on, with them having no choice but to do so if they wanted to get back into the game.

The hosts dominated the second period, but they struggled to make this count, with no real chances being carved out. Everton defended well to restrict their opponents to long range efforts as they through the kitchen sink at them, whilst dealing with any balls into the box with little hesitation.

Nonetheless, this all changed with 10 minutes remaining when half time substitute Smith beautifully curled home from the edge of the box after a corner found him unmarked and in plenty of space, his effort kissing the inside of the post and hitting the back of the net to give his side a way back into the game.

Three late goals in incredible finale

This fabulous strike from Smith inspired his side as they continued to press and press for an equaliser in the closing stages, with Stanislas giving them it with three minutes to go.

It was the work from King that created the goal, the striker bursting down the right and drilling a low cross into a packed box where Stanislas was waiting to smash home first time at the near post.

Bournemouth weren't done there either as they pushed for a winner, having done the hard bit in coming from two goals down. They had a great chance to go ahead late on as well from a corner, but Daniels' header from three yards was well over the bar after he failed to direct it on target.

However, it was Everton who looked to have stole the three points in stoppage time, Barkley squeezing an effort in at the near post to the sheer delight of the travelling fans, who could not contain their excitement as they stormed onto the pitch to celebrate with their players.

The England international pounced on confusion in the box to find the back of the net, countless bodies piling into the area but Barkley able to drill home through them all and under the body of goalkeeper Allsop, who replaced the injured Federici at half time to make his Premier League debut.

The 23-year-old's error would not prove to be as costly as it could have been though as, right from the restart, Bournemouth were back on the attack and able to level once again to make it 3-3 - Daniels' cross met perfectly by the head of Stanislas, who snatched a point for the Cherries in the eighth minute of stoppage time.

In such a thrilling and unpredictable affair, neither team can really be frustrated with the result and will happily take the point each, especially given each team's situation - Everton on the road and Bournemouth struggling.

Nonetheless, both will feel they could have won the game. The openness and sheer spontaneity of events meant that this became more difficult, but both enjoyed controlling spells of the game in which they could have put the result to bed given the chances they created.