1-0, min. 16, Henrique. 2-0, min. 59, Said. 2-1, min. 86, Waris (PK), 2-2, min. 90+3, Lautoa. 3-2, min. 90+4, Henrique.
Stade Rennais 3-2 FC Lorient | Late goal seals derby cup win
Sanjin Prcic battles with FC Lorient players for the ball | Photo: Bruno Perel

Stade Rennais 3-2 FC Lorient | Late goal seals derby cup win

Rennes are through to the next round of the Coupe de la Ligue after beating neighbours Lorient thanks to a last gasp winner.

Connor Gordon
Stade RennaisCostil; Cavaré, Gnagnon, Armand, Baal; Diakhaby, Janvier, Prcic, Henrique; Erasmus, Said
FC LorientDelecroix; Mazikou, Touré (c), Moreira, Lautoa, Cafu, Marveaux, Mesloub, Ben Khemis, Barthelme, Waris
REFEREEClément Turpin (FRA).

Stade Rennais have qualified for the next round of the Coupe de la Ligue after defeating local rivals FC Lorient at Roazhon Park.

The home side were comfortably two goals ahead for the majority of the match, scored by Pedro Henrique and Wesley Said

However, the visitors sprung a surprise and drew level late on thanks to a Majeed Waris penalty and a Wesley Lautoa conversion.

Unfortunately for Les Merlus, a goal mouth scramble at the death resulted in Henrique netting his second of the game from two yards out and sealing the game for Rennes.

Both teams brought many changes to their line-ups for this cup tie - an unfamiliar starting spot for South African striker Kermit Erasmus for Rennes being the most surprising of the alterations.

Lorient made to pay for not taking early chance

Lorient had a fantastic opportunity to take the lead early on through Maxime Barthelme, but the winger couldn't convert into the gaping net.

The attacker was made to rue the miss, as six minutes later Rennes went ahead through Henrique - an Erasmus header was tapped into the net from a few yards out by the Brazilian winger. 

Erasmus passed up a great chance to get a goal himself not long after but poor decision making to go for a chip rather than placing the ball whilst one-on-one was his own wrong doing.

A second half for the neutral

The second goal of the match interrupted a tiresome start to the half with not a lot of action of note taking place.

Spotting Lorient goalkeeper Paul Delecroix off his line, Said tried his luck from distance and got his just rewards as the ball flew in uncontested.

Although ahead by two goals, the momentum didn't really change and the match was still evenly contested by both teams.

Both teams missed good half-chances that, if met with more hunger and desire, could have changed the game.

Four minutes from the regulatory 90, Rennes captain for the evening Sylvain Armand blatantly handled the ball inside the box and gave away a penalty.

Former Rennes target Waris duly stepped up and slotted the ball past Benoit Costil to set up a tense last few minutes.

Three minutes into added time, the score was leveled through Lautoa who picked up the scraps after Costil recklessly came out his box to clear a cross.

However, just as everyone was preparing themselves for extra time, Henrique popped up at the back post to hit into the net following a hectic attack inside the box.

The full time whistle was met with adulation in Roazhon Park as Rennes progress to the next round, however FC Lorient will feel hard done by due to the late nature of their exit.