Fraser Forster's Celtic return is still on
(Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

Fraser Forster's return to Celtic is 'still on' despite reports last week the goalkeeper snubbed the Scottish club in favour of a Southampton return.

The Hoops had initially agreed on a one-year loan extension with an option to buy for the England international.

However, Forster is said to have snubbed a return North of the border to remain on the South Coast and fight for his place as the number one spot with Alex McCarthy.

But now according to BT Sports presenter Darrell Currie, there could still be some traction in this transfer speculation. 

The reporter tweeted on Monday 'Forster to Celtic still on btw' as Neil Lennon's side continue their search for a first-choice keeper.

Assessing other options

Currently Celtic are also looking into free-agent Joe Hart following his release from Burnley and fellow Scot David Marshall.

The Scottish Premiership Champions have been left with one first-team goalkeeper in Scott Bain following Craig Gordon and Forster leaving the club at the end of last season.

Angus Gunn has been linked with a move away from Southampton after falling down the pecking order with some reports suggesting Celtic could be the destination.

Embed from Getty Images

Lennon wants his man

While Celtic are currently pursuing alternatives their manager Neil Lennon has admitted his desire to bring Forster back.

Speaking with Sky Sports, he said: "We are looking at other options. There was a deal agreed between both the clubs but it's gone quiet from the player's side of things, so like everything else we would dearly love him back here, but if that's not going to be the case then we'll look elsewhere."

VAVEL Logo