Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 Stoke City: Jacob Brown's Late Strike knocks The Wanderers out. 

Wolverhampton Wanderers bowed out of the Carabao Cup in the Second Round after Stoke City scored late at Molineux.

Substitute Jacob Brown sealed the victory for Stoke with an 86th-minute winner. 

Brown latched onto the ball in the box after a great bit of build-up play from Stoke, and smashed it at goalkeeper John Ruddy, who's hand was not enough to keep the ball out of the back of the net. 

The match-winning strike wrong-footed Ruddy, who really should have done better to keep the ball out of the net. 

Strong line-up with two debuts

Embed from Getty Images

Nuno Espirito Santo gave three players their full debut; Fabio Silva, and Vitor Ferreira, in what appeared to be a strong side.

However, their first taste of football in a Wolves shirt was certainly a frustrating one. 

Nuno's men dominated the ball but fired blanks in the final third against a rigid Stoke defence.

Stoke's solidarity in defence was a leaf out of Wolves' book, as they lined up with a similar five-at-the-back set up to their competitors.

The home side finished the game with a total of 65% possession, yet just one shot on target - summing up their night. 

Although the stats don't reflect well on club-record signing Fabio Silva, the young striker had a promising full debut.

His hold up play and positioning in the box offered for some impressive touches, however, his final product in the box let him down.

The former Porto man was also at the heart of Wolves' best chance. Pedro Neto's floated ball into the box fell to Silva after a poor clearance, but the 18-year-old couldn't adjust his feet and scuffed the ball wide from six yards. 

Wolves also had a good chance in the first half through Leander Dendonker. Ruben Neves whipped in ball into the box, only for the Belgian to direct his header wide.

Lack of penetration costs Wolves

Embed from Getty Images

Stoke could have taken the lead early in the second half. Josh Tymon fizzed in a cross to Steven Fletcher, but the former-Wolves man failed to find the target.

The Potters' goal will be a disappointing one for back up 'keeper Ruddy. Despite getting a hand on it, the Wolves 'keeper misread which corner Brown was aiming for, and parried the shot into the net. 

Regardless of the mistake, the build-up play from Stoke was brilliant. James McClean picked up the ball and drove powerfully into the heart of the Wolves defence. 

McClean then cleverly disguised a one-two pass with Fletcher, and ran over the return pass, leaving it for Brown, who did the rest.

Stoke finished the game with just two shots on target and just over half as many passes as Wolves finished the game with. 

Wolves will now turn their attention to a tough Premier League test against Manchester City.