Manchester United 0-0 [4-3 penalties] Manchester City: City qualify despite United winning on penalties
(Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Manchester United beat Manchester City on penalties in the Conti Cup on Thursday evening. Despite City losing the last match of Group C, they have still qualified for the quarter-finals after they received a point from regulation time. 

United take two points from this match, one for the 0-0 draw in regulation time and a further point for winning the penalty shootout.

Considering the two sides competed in the Women's Super League less than a week ago, Thursday night's performances and energy levels were impressive. Unfortunately, both sets of the attackers' finishing was not. 

Story of the game

Both sides allowed each other to grow into the game but it was City creating the dangerous chances. Georgia Stanway's strike sailed over the bar in the 11th minute after a string of beautiful passes to create the chance. 

United then had a great chance of their own as Lauren James placed a wonderful cross onto the right-foot of Tobin Heath who could not get a clean connection on the shot. 

Heath then returned the favour for James as she cut-back the ball for James' right-foot. James' effort resulted in an excellent save from Karen Bardsley. 

It was then Emily Ramsey who gifted an opportunity for Stanway but the United keeper was fortunate as the City forward rushed her effort. 

On the stroke of half-time, Stanway had the ball in the back of the net with a superb volley, unfortunately for the City striker she was just offside. That would have been her 50th career goal for City. 

Early in the second-half, Bardsley put the ball on a plate for Heath as she fluffed her lines. Heath opted against hitting it first time and tried to twist and turn but the City defence were quick to react and Heath's shot hit the side netting. 

The substitute Sam Mewis struck the bar with what looked like a cross, either way it had Ramsey scrambling. 

In the dying moments there was a huge shout for a penalty from the United dugout as Ella Toone was brought down just inside the box. 

The match ended 0-0 in regulation time rewarding both sides with one point. In the Conti Cup, if the score is level after 90 minutes - both sides take part in a penalty shootout to snatch an extra point. 


After some clinical finishes it was Laura Coombs who missed City's second penalty. United punished and took advantage as Hayley Ladd scored to force Alex Greenwood into sudden death. The pressure got to Greenwood who smashed it off the bar and gave United the penalty shootout bonus point. 

The holders qualify again

City who are the current holders of the Conti Cup have now qualified for at least the quarter-finals ever since the competition was created. 

They only needed the point to qualify which is exactly what they got, but they were forced to work hard for it.