Luton Town 1-1 Blackburn Rovers: Hatters hold Blackburn to an action-packed draw at Kenilworth Road
(Photo by Rachel Holborn - BRFC/Getty Images)

Story of the match

First half

After naming a starting team that was hard decipher, Luton started the brighter of the two. 

In the opening five minutes, full-back Rhys Norrington-Davies twice found himself with possession in the attacking third. His second driving run resulted in the Welsh international cutting in and firing wide with his weaker right boot. 

Four minutes later and the hosts had a brilliant opportunity to open the scoring, when Sonny Bradley nodded Berry's header straight into the path of Elliot Lee, who was unable to steer his effort clear of the on-rushing bodies. 

The visitors reacted well to the early but mounting Luton pressure and nearly broke the deadlock in the 12th minute, when Adam Armstrong's inviting cross was met by Ben Brereton, but the towering centre-forward was adjudged to have fouled a defender in the process. 

Rovers then had the ball of the back of the net, but Armstrong was ruled offside, when he tapped in from close range after Simon Sluga spilled Darragh Lenihan's free header. 

After a rather exciting first 15 minutes, both sides struggled to make any clear-cut chances. Joe Rothwell threatened The Hatters back-line on a couple of occasions, but was unable to create anything meaningful. 

For Luton, Norrington-Davies, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and George Moncur were linking up very well in the first half, but found it difficult to find the makeshift centre-forward in Harry Cornick. 

A minute before the half-time whistle Lenihan found himself with space in the area again, but his headed effort drifted narrowly wide.

Second half 

The Hatters once again started the half on the front foot and created the first opportunity of the second 45 when Moncur latched onto Dewsbury Hall's through ball, but Thomas Kaminski stood strong and kept out the winger's powerful effort.

For the second time in the game, Blackburn had to work themselves back into the half, and nearly edged ahead when a well-worked corner found Rothwell, who saw his swerving effort trouble Sluga, but the Croatian international was more than equal to it. 

Luton eventually opened the scoring in the 69th minute, when Luke Berry poked James Collins' cross-shot beyond Kaminski. 

However, the visitors levelled just three minutes later, after substitute Sam Gallagher tapped in from close range after good work from Barry Douglas.   

As the game reached its concluding stages, Blackburn looked like they were closing in on a winner. 

Luton somehow survived 30 seconds of madness, after Gallagher's initial effort was palmed to Brereton, who was unable to get the strike away. The ball eventually ended up with Douglas but his driven effort was once again blocked by Sluga.  


There was a clear game-plan from a Luton perspective and they used the left-side of the pitch effectively. Moncur and Norrington- Davies parituclarly stood out in the first-half, but The Hatters struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

Rovers struggled in the opening minutes of both halves, but managed to work themselves into both periods. Rothwell and Brereton both dropped deeper in the second half to gain possession and helped to drive their team forward. 

The substitutions played a particularly starring role for both sides. The Hatters brought on Collins in the second half, who provided the assist for the opener, whilst Rovers substitute Sam Gallagher poked home the equaliser with 20 minutes to go.

Stand out player

From a Luton perspective, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall was the player who looked a constant threat. His driving runs and link-up play with the widemen, caused a lot of problems especially during that first-half.

For Rovers, Ben Brereton caused havoc all afternoon. He dropped deeper in the second half, but carried a threat ever time he got onto the ball. He was unlucky to be booked for diving in the closing stages of the game, as it looked like he was tripped.