Stevenage 2-2 Morecambe: Stags and Shrimps share the spoils
Above: Morecambe playmaker Aaron Wildig (Source: Charlotte Tattersall, Getty Images)

A late header from Stevenage forward Luke Norris was enough to grasp a point for the Stags, as they contained a Morecambe side who are currently well within the play-off race.

Stevenage were hoping to upset the odds and pull further away from the relegation embers, but must change their form as Alex Revell's side have just won victory in their last six games.

Revell also handed a second game to David Stockdale, who had joined on an emergency loan following an injury to Chelsea loanee Jamie Cumming.

Team news

Stevenage: Stockdale; James-Wildin, Vancooten, Marshall, Martin, List, Lines, Read, Aitchinson, Stevens, Norris.

Morecambe: Letheren; Cooney, Lavelle, Knight-Percival, Hendrie, Kenyon, Diagouraga, O'Sullivan, Wildig, Mendes-Gomes, Stockton.

Story of the match

It was the Shrimps who almost opened the scoring, as Cole Stockton and Aaron Wildig played some nice football on the edge of the box before Wildig's final effort blistened the side netting.

Wildig was clearly hungry for his fifth goal of the season, as he met a teasing cross from Carlos Mendes Gomes but could only nod over.

However, despite Morecambe's early pressure it was the home side that had the breakthrough. A long free-kick from Chris Lines was failed to clear, allowing Elliot List to fire the ball through the crowd of bodies on the volley, leaving Kyle Letheren no chance. This was List's fifth of the season, and the opener for Stevenage.

Morecambe came close to finding a first half equaliser, as Stephen Hendrie found space on the left side and crossed into the six yard box, but Toumani Diagouraga could only head wayward of the target. 

But Diagouraga did get his goal just four minutes later, as Hendrie once again crossed an excellent ball into the box and Frenchman controlled before smartly converting the ball past Stockdale in goal.

And the Shrimps prevailed, as they turned the game on its head courtesy of Stockton. Alex Kenyon led the counter-attack forward before threading the ball through to John O'Sullivan, who intelligently squared the ball to Stockton, allowing him to calmly smash the ball past Stockdale and fire Morecambe into the driving seat.

Heading into the second half, and Stevenage looked to carve an opportunity as Matty Stevens spun towards goal but his deflected effort was easily collected from Letheren. 

Luke Norris was next to dawdle with the prospect of an equaliser, as he controlled a pass from Charlie Carter and shifted past his man, but his powerful attempt blazed over the bar.

As the game approached its closing stages, Norris did snatch his goal and earn a potential point for the home side, as Danny Newton, who had come on as a sub, had a crack at goal that was deflected by the Morecambe defence. The loose ball looped into the air, and Norris rose highest to direct the ball into the far corner.

Carter looked to find the winner for the Stags, as Ben Coker crossed into the box and his diving header was well saved by Letheren.

But as Stevenage ran down the clock with a few late chances, the referee called the game to a close with Morecambe leaving Hertfordshire the more bitter of the two teams.


Whilst pundits may suggest that Stevenage should be happy with a point being so near to the relegation zone, Revell will undoubtedly be disappointed not to take three points from the clash.

The Stags were in control throughout the second half, with Morecambe having very few chances and struggling to break past a strong Stevenage defence. Morecambe will be disappointed with their performance however, and especially Derek Adams who will be vying for a victory come Tuesday against Bolton, as he looks to avoid the Shrimps entering a rut and going three games without a win against sides who are well below them within the table.

Standout player

​​​​​​​Wildig had a very promising performance in his advanced midfielder role, often creating opportunities for Stockton and nearly opening the scoring very early on. 

Norris was the eventual hero of the afternoon, with his late strike earning a point for Stevenage and constantly being a nuisance and a headache for the Morecambe defence.