Post-Match Analysis: Wolves stage impressive comeback to get revenge on Saints.
 Pedro Neto of Wolverhampton Wanderers celebrates after he scores a goal to make it 2-1 during the Premier League match between Southampton and Wolverhampton Wanderers at St Mary's Stadium on February 14, 2021 in Southampton, England. Sporting stadiums around the UK remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images)

Wolverhampton Wanderers took all three points from Southampton after going 1-0 down after 25 minutes on Sunday afternoon. 

Southampton's goal came in the form of a Danny Ings goal which was superbly caught on the full volley after a pinpoint Stuart Armstrong cross onto the foot of the English striker. 

On the 52nd minute mark, a Nelson Semedo cross found the arm of Saints full back, Ryan Bertrand which was controversially given as a penalty by VAR official Martin Atkinson, who saw no need for the on-field referee to reconsider his decision to give the penalty. 

Ruben Neves scored from 12 yards before Pedro Neto would complete the comeback scoring a brilliant individual goal with a finish from a tight angle. 

Embed from Getty Images

  • Contrasting halves for Wolves

The first period of the game was a shaky one for Wolves. The visitors were sat far too deep in the first half and inviting a lot of pressure onto themselves for elongated periods of the halves, which was much to the delight of the Saints attackers who were more than happy to run at the Wolves defenders and get crosses in. 

The second half saw a change in approach for the Midlands side as Nuno Espirito Santo tweaked the approach with the team sitting higher and the wide players taking more risks. 

Adama Traore and Neto looked more confident in running at the saints backline and dribbling past the defence, taking more risks. The goal from Neto came from a piece of fantastic dribbling past Saints defender Jannik Vestergaard and finding himself in the space to be able to slot it past the Saints keeper. 

Embed from Getty Images

  • Wolves resilient toward the end 

After Wolves had scored their share of the goals there was still the matter of defending the lead for 25 minutes for the visitors. It would prove to be a tough closing stage of the game for the visitors. 

Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio would prove to be heroic in achieving the three points as he made a brilliant save denying James Ward-Prowse's effort which was sneaking into the bottom corner before denying Che Adams from a point-blank position on the rebound. 

The Saints would through everything at the black and gold defence before they found an opening with Adams header from inside the penalty box flew wide of Patricio's net. Maximilian Kilman was brought into the back line for the added five minutes to ensure they could hold onto the lead and clear any danger that came from the red and white attacks. 

Embed from Getty Images

  • Rotation from the cup game played a huge part

Wolves brought back six of their starters after they slumped to defeat at home to the saints in the FA Cup on Thursday. 

Patricio, Semedo, Conor Coady, Traore, Neto and Willian Jose would see themselves back into the starting lineup as Nuno looked to get one back on the Saints. 

Nelson Semedo would prove to be a crucial part of the victory as he looked a real threat coming forward and played his part in the defence in turn. 

The matchwinner, Neto looked extremely confident going forward, running at defenders with a real threatening look, putting the cherry on top with his incredible strike to win the match-up. 

Embed from Getty Images