Oldham Athletic 2-4 Cambridge United: Bonner's side remain second after coming back from two goals down

Cambridge United earned three points at Boundary Park against Oldham Athletic on Saturday afternoon that will help Mark Bonner's side in their race for League Two promotion.

Latics started well, leading 2-0 after only eleven minutes, but the Us fought back well and came out on top.

The match

The first half was very much a 45 that could itself be split into two distinct halves, with either side controlling at different points.

Davis Keillor-Dunn opened the score only eight minutes in, dragging the ball over Callum Burton with the help of a deflection before nonchalantly tapping it in.

Latics set up in a 3-4-3, slightly different to the formation used on Tuesday night at Port Vale, with a front three of McAleny, Keillor-Dunn and Hilssner.

And only three minutes later, the Sunderland-born midfielder found himself on the scoresheet once again, the deftest of touches converting Nicky Adams' pinpoint cross.

For the visitors, Wes Hoolahan was comfortably a class above the rest. His wealth of experience was evident as he skipped around the midfield and dominated the game for Cambridge.

Oldham have only kept three clean sheets in the league this season, and that was quickly out of their sights on Saturday. With Raphael Diarra having brought down Greg Taylor inside the box, Paul Mullin smashed it home from the penalty spot.

Jack Iredale, who had only scored two goals all season prior to the match, then bagged himself a brace. The first came after his long-range strike deflected off Nicky Adams, the second after he latched onto Paul Mullin's backheel to slot it past Walker.

In the second half, Oldham had a chance to redeem themselves when Andrea Badan was brought down inside of the box and Brett Huxtable pointed to the penalty spot, but Keillor-Dunn's tame effort was denied by Burton.

A few minutes later and at the other end of the pitch, Cambridge extended their lead. Luke Hannant's corner went directly into the goal - although Laurie Walker's hand helped to direct it goalwards.

Despite substitutions for the hosts, Cambridge remained the dominant side and picked up all three points.