Huddersfield Town 1-0 Preston North End: Own goal gives Terriers first victory of the season
Photo: Ashley Allen/Getty Images

Huddersfield Town have got their EFL Championship season up and running with a 1-0 victory over Preston North End at the John Smith's Stadium.

An own goal by Preston defender Sepp van den Berg condemned the Lilywhites to a third consecutive defeat, that leaves them rooted to the bottom of the table.

Story of the match

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors just two minutes in when Brad Potts saw his close-range effort blocked. Levi Colwill gifted possession to Daniel Johnson, but Colwill was able to get back to deflect the resulting shot inches wide of the post.

Preston took possession for a period, with Ched Evans and Josh Earl both providing half chances for the visitors. Evans volleyed over the post, whilst Earl fired high and wide from range.

Sorba Thomas won the Terriers a corner after driving forward down the left. His deep delivery found Colwill, but the center back’s header drifted wide.

The hosts grew into the game, working the ball out of Preston’s press before advancing down the left. Ultimately, the move ended with Scott High driving the ball into the Cowshed Loyal End from 25 yards out.

Naby Sarr showcased some superb defending in the 32nd minute. Danny Ward lost possession and the Lilywhites were able to break down the right, but the Frenchman was on hand to hack his low shot clear.

Josh Koroma almost broke the deadlock just moments later, but his shot hit Jordan Storey and drifted just inches wide.

Huddersfield were put on the defensive as the clock ticked down to the half time whistle. First, Sarr blocked Potts' shot on the edge of the area, before goalkeeper Lee Nicholls claimed the follow-up shot from Ben Whiteman.

The Terriers showcased some good play in the 62nd minute, with O’Brien and Thomas combining to set Koroma away down the left edge of the penalty area. No one was on hand to convert his excellent low cross.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 74th minute. Koroma set up second-half substitute Duane Holmes, sending him through on goal, and in his attempt to keep the ball out, van den Berg slipped it into his own net.

Embed from Getty Images

Thomas came agonizingly close to doubling Huddersfield's lead in the 81st minute. He was set off down the left by a superb pass from Alex Vallejo, but saw his shot cannon off the woodwork.

The next chance for the Terriers fell to Koroma, who drove at the last defender before sending a shot wide from 20 yards out.

That was the last meaningful action of the game as Huddersfield picked up three valuable points while Preston have yet to register a single point through their first three matches.

Man of the match: Naby Sarr

In a game that was dominated early on by Preston, it was the Huddersfield defender who had the key defensive sequence of the game, blocking shots and clearing when the Lilywhites had some of their best chances of the match.