Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Plymouth Argyle: FA Cup tie taken to a replay at Home Park
Photo by George Wood/Getty Images

Sheffield Wednesday will have to travel to Home Park for an FA Cup First Round Replay as they drew 0-0 with Plymouth Argyle at Hillsborough Stadium.

After a dreary first period, the Owls came out the better side in the second period but again lacked that clinical edge, as did their opponents, who rarely threatened.

This stretches Plymouth’s unbeaten run against Wednesday to four games.

Story of the match

The first chance of the game came on six minutes. Panutche Camara dispossessed Barry Bannan inside the Plymouth half and drove forward into the Owls’ box. But his shot was straight at Bailey Peacock-Farrell, who saved with his feet.

Conor Grant, who was making his 100th appearance for the Pilgrims, then went close with a fierce effort that deflected narrowly wide on 11 minutes.

A quarter into the game, Dennis Adeniran collected a lackadaisical sideways pass from Jordan Houghton and carried the ball into the area, but his shot from an acute angle was saved by Michael Cooper.

Moments later, Florian Kamberi then had a shot blocked by Dan Scarr after receiving the ball from Liam Palmer and striking the shot on the swivel.

On the half-hour mark, Plymouth were almost gifted the lead after a quick breakaway which saw Ryan Hardie beat a stranded Peacock-Farrell to the ball before he teed up Joe Edwards, who saw his low drive turned wide by Chey Dunkley.

On the stroke of the break, Theo Corbeanu lost possession around 25 yards from goal, which allowed 10-goal Hardie to run along the edge of the area before Dunkley managed to take the pace off the subsequent shot as the ‘keeper collected.

The Owls had two early chances after the break. Kamberi went close on the byline, rifling his shot into the hands of Cooper, before Bannan curled wide from the edge.

On 52 minutes, Grant took aim from 20 yards, but his left-footed attempt flew wide of the upright.

Wednesday continued to threaten, as Corbeanu crossed the ball into the corridor of uncertainty, but Grant headed behind. The following corner presented another opportunity, but Adeniran’s effort from the edge was blocked.

The Owls made a triple substitution on the hour mark which seemed to bring a momentum change in the game.

Two of those changes linked up to create a glorious opportunity. Jack Hunt drilled the ball into the feet of Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, who backheeled the ball into the path of Palmer, but the defender’s effort went straight into the midriff of the ‘keeper.

Moments later, Berahino went close to finding the opener, but his effort from a tight angle was pushed wide by Cooper.

However, Plymouth survived that onslaught to almost gain the advantage with 12 minutes remaining.

Luke Jephcott carried the ball into the area from the right before drilling the ball towards the edge, where Jordon Garrick had two bites of the cherry, with his second attempt forcing Peacock-Farrell into a magnificent save before Hunt cleared on the line.

Wednesday had a late penalty shout turned down for a foul on Sylla Sow, as both sides had to settle for a replay.