Brentford 3-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers: An easy night for the hosts

Although separated by just goal difference prior the game, Brentford comfortably disposed of Wolverhampton Wanderers with a triumphant 3-0 victory.

Brentford 3-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers: An easy night for the hosts
(photo: @BrentfordFC Twitter)
3 0
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Brentford: Button; Yennaris, Dean, O'Connell, Bidwell; Woods, McEachran (Kerschbaumer, min. 81); Canós (Saunders, min. 76), Swift, Judge; Djuricin (Vibe, min. 86).
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme; Doherty, Batth, Ebanks-Landell, Hause; van La Parra (Le Fondre, min. 63), Coady, McDonald, Byrne (Saville, min. 62); Mason, Sigurðarson.
SCORE: 1-0, min. 38, Swift. 2-0, min. 56, Canós. 3-0, min. 67, Swift.
REFEREE: Charles Breakspear (ENG)

A tremendous performance from an interchanging Brentford trio condemned Wolverhampton Wanderers to a seventh striaght defeat. A brace from John Swift and a tidy finish by Sergi Canós gave the Bees their first win in a month.

Mixed start for both sides

Both sides had chances in the opening 15 minutes to take an early lead, however it was certainly Wolves who looked the more likely to open the scoring. 

Brentford won an early corner following a move that was brilliantly instigated by Chelsea loanee Swift. Marco Djuricin was found with loads of space in the Wolves penalty area from the resulting corner, but he could only manage to find the travelling fans in the stand in the Brook Road stand with a poor half volley.

Just moments later, the visitors had a great chance to take the lead. Rajiv van La Parra found space down the right channel and picked out an unmarked Björn Sigurðarson, whose timid header was saved with ease by David Button.

A harmless Wolves throw-in was misjudged by Bees defender Jack O'Connell, allowing Sigurðarson to receive the ball on the edge of the area. The forward then picked out a unmarked Nathan Byrne on the far side, but his well-placed shot was comfortably caught by keeper Button. Despite Brentford dominating possession, Kenny Jackett's side were looking the more likely to break the deadlock having the majority of the chances early on. That was the only bright spell they would throughout the entirety of the game.

Brentford's frustration to find a breakthrough past an organised Wolves defence was epitomised in the 16th minute by an adventurous 25-yard effort by Jake Bidwell sailing over Carl Ikeme's goal. 

Brentford start to take control

Continuing with their patient style, the Bees showed signs of an opener as an interchange between Swift and O'Connell was prevented by Kortney Hause for a Brentford corner. A few minutes later Ikeme was presented with his first real threat via in form winger Alan Judge's bouncing effort from just outside the penalty area striking the post. Judge troubled the Wolves defence again after a dull 12 minutes, getting on the end of a Josh McEacran free-kick and firing into the side-netting. The once robust Wolves defence was starting to come apart by Brentford's patient on-ball approach.

With just six minutes to go to half-time the hosts took the lead through Swift with an effort that deflected off of a Wolves defender, who could only watch it trickle into the net past Ikeme. Soon after, Brentford could have been two in front after Bidwell was dragged down in the box with the corner drifting towards him, but referee Charles Breakspear was far from interested by the appeals.

The start of the second half provided an enticing start as both sides had chances at either end. Djuricin almost put the icing on an impressive move by his teammates with a shot that was deflected wide of the goal. Wolves midfielder Kevin McDonald was then prevented from equalising by the terrific goalkeeping of Button.

Bees double their lead

In the 56th minute youngster Canós doubled the lead with a smart finish off of a Judge pass to cap off a fantastic Brentford move. Now chasing the game Jackett decided to replace van La Parra and Burne with ex-Brentford midfielder George Saville and striker Adam Le Fondre to add more attacking threat.

This was to no effect though as Brentford added a third to their lead as Swift ended yet another superb passing move with a composed finish past a helpless Ikeme. A deflated Wolves, who started promisingly, looked set to go a seventh game without a win. Brentford's attacking trio had sealed their fate with a terrific display.

Brentford's free-flowing football was well appreciated by the home fans as they revelled in applause after another spell of patient play led to a corner. Wolves broke away from the corner and substitute Le Fondre's effort from a tight angle was gathered easily by Button. 

If it wasn't bad enough, as the game drew to a close, Wolves fans started to ironically cheer every completed pass by their team.

Judge almost made it even more embarrassing for the visitors - following a one-two with Swift - his shot was deflected off the sliding defenders and back off of him for a goal-kick.

As the final whistle approached, a flying effort miles wide of the goal from Mason summed up a lacklusture performance by Jackett's side. It got worse for the Wolves boss, as he received a mixed response by the travelling fans as he made his way to the pitch-side tunnel.

Post-match comments

Brentford manger Dean Smith said after the game, "I was delighted with the game and the result, a clean sheet was terrific. In recent weeks we conceded many goals - sloppy goals as well - David Button made a terrific save at 1-0. Harlee Dean had a terrific game at the back for us tonight and I was pleased with his performance".

In particular, he was pleased with striker Marco Djuricin's performance, leading the line tonight stating that 'it was Marco's best performance since I've arrived here' and that the 'goals will start coming for him'.

He also stated that his side will have to 'take tonight's performance into the Rotherham game' as they visit Neil Warnock's side this Saturday afternoon.

Wolves manager Kenny Jackett stated that it was 'an even game after ten minutes that looked likely to be competitive game' and that 'it was a deserved loss for us - we couldn't produce anything in either the 4-4-2 or the 4-3-3 formation'.

He continued, 'I didn't think we deserved it tonight. The games come thick and fast in the Championship and we need to find the fight and resolve to get through them'.

In terms of winger Rajiv van La Parra, who made a controversial post on social media this past week, he stated 'We have spoken to him about it and he has apologised'. However, that'll be the least of their concerns now with a tough fixture against Derby coming up this Saturday.