Chelsea veteran and legendary defender John Terry has ended rumours regarding his future at the club by signing a one-year extension at Stamford Bridge.
Put to bed
It looked like the 3-2 defeat to Sunderland - in which he was dismissed - would be the swansong for the defender who had been at the club since the age of 14, with his contract expected to run on June 30.
Despite interest from China and the USA, a new offer was handed to the 35-year-old and came to the agreement with consolation between Terry, owner Roman Abrhamovich, the board and new manager Antonio Conte.
The new deal will take Terry into his 22nd year at the club where he has racked up over 700 appearances and 14 major trophies and Terry shared his delight at signing the new deal.
He told chelseafc.com that he was "delighted" to sign a new deal and that everyone knew that he was Chelsea "through and through".
Terry continued, saying that he was "looking forward to next season" under a "new manager" and is hopeful that is will be a "successful one". He shared his admiration for the fans and their "continued support" and said that they were the "best in the world".
Terry has been one of the world's best central defenders in the past decade, having been voted into the FIFA World XI for five consecutive years, and the hierarchy at the Bridge were delighted at the extension.
Chairman Bruce Buck said that the club were "delighted" that Terry signed a new deal and that he had been "the leader" in the club's "most successful period". He said that passing the 700 appearance mark was a testament to his "professionalism" and "dedication" as well as his "undoubted talent."
Director Marina Granovskaia added that Terry will continue to be a "important figure" in the "dressing room" and "on the pitch".