KIF Örebro 0-0 Piteå IF: Draw helps neither side

A rather tame affair ended goalless on Wednesday night.

KIF Örebro 0-0 Piteå IF: Draw helps neither side
The two sides line-up under the setting sun in Örebro. (Photo credit: @KIFOrebro)
KIF Örebro
0 0
Piteå IF
KIF Örebro: Söberg (c), Kristjánsdóttir, Nault, Johansson, Gråhns, Chukwudi (Wecksell, min. 82), Olofsson, Perez, Spetsmark, Trancredi, Grabus (Abrahamsson, min. 70).
Piteå IF: Carlén, Ikidi, Lövgren, Pedersen, Aronsson (Hedquist, min. 78), Bragnum (Grahn, min. 83), Helin, Löfkvist, Johansson (c), Jakobsson (Abrahamsson, min. 70), Karlsson.
SCORE: 0-0
REFEREE: Laura Rapp (SWE) booked Löfqvist, (min. 87)
INCIDENTS: Damallsvenskan match between KIF Örebro and Piteå IF, held at the Behrn arena.

KIF Örebro and Piteå IF played out a half-hearted draw at the Behrn arena in one of four midweek Damallsvenskan games.

A first half without much sparkle

The first half lacked bite from either team. Although Örebro saw much more of the ball and enjoyed more attacking spells, the first shot on target didn’t come until the 15th minute, Freja Olofsson with a tame 25-yard effort that was an easy claim for Hilda Carlén.

Piteå went sporadically went forward, half-heartedly, with few white shirts wanting to travel high up the pitch to support Elin Bragnum. As a consequence, Bragnum was always well marshalled by Anna Björk Kristjansdottir and Marie-Eve Nault.

The first real sight of goal came with ten minutes of the first half left, Melissa Tancredi getting her shot away following a Nault corner, the looping ball just tipped onto the top of the bar by Carlén. The resulting second corner saw Piteå’s best chance, Ellen Löfqvist carrying the ball away and breaking down the right, numbers getting forward but the eventual ball into the box was just behind Bragnum and Örebro calmly dealt with the danger.

With the game ticking down to half-time, Adelisa Grabus went on a searing run, smartly laying-off to Julia Spetsmark before sprinting back into the box in good space. Spetsmark found her with a clean cross into the box but, after putting in all the hard work, Grabus could only head harmlessly wide.

More on offer from Piteå

Whatever Stellan Carlsson said to his team at half-time, he certainly got the message across as they came out fighting in the second period.

Within less than five minutes of the restart, Piteå had won a free-kick in a dangerous position, Bragnum sending a teasing ball in for Carola Söberg to bat away. Irma Helin, Felicia Karlsson and Löfqvist all tried their luck from inside the box as the ball bounced around, Örebro unable to clear the danger. These were nervous moments for the latter, but no player in white could get the all-important touch and the home side finally cleared the ball to safety.

With both sides attacking each other the game became more and more stretched, more spaces opening up to allow even more attacking, Örebro not as firm going forward as in the first-half but Piteå looking menacing at the other end.

A couple of half-chances followed for the hosts, first Elin Johansson’s shot from outside the box flew harmlessly over the bar following a corner that no one wanted to take charge of, then Tancredi’s volley found row Z after the ball came at her a little too quickly as she got in behind the defence.

The game went through stages of a tame midfield battle to both sides going for it at full pace and after 20 or so minutes of neither team looking interested in the game, it inexplicably sprung to life as the clock ticked down into the last five minutes of regular time.

Substitute Klara Grahn exploded onto the pitch, latching onto the ball and taking it to the by-line, attempting to chip Söberg at the near-post, the experienced keeper sticking two hands up to lift the ball onto the roof of the net.

Then it was Örebro’s time to attack, Tancredi the most likely for the hosts but well covered in the box, white shirts flooding back. Sejde Abrahamsson’s early header produced a fine low save from Carlén before the keeper was called back into action, Tancredi stretching every muscle to poke the ball but once again the keeper was alert to the danger.

The game progressed into stoppage time with both sides finding the attacking impetus from nowhere, the last chance of the night falling to Löfqvist; Helin’s whipped cross found her well but her first touch took it behind.

If the first half belonged to Örebro then the second was Piteå’s, but neither really attacked the ball with a real intent and hunger. Although both sides flashed, neither staked enough of a claim to warrant all three points.

The point makes sure Örebro stay clear of the danger zone whilst Piteå languish in mid-table.