Bundesliga Winter Break Round-up: Bremen win twice, Frankfurt overcome Wehen
Image credit: eintracht.de

Both Bundesliga clubs picked up wins today, as Werder Bremen beat Al-Fujairah and Energie Cottbus and Frankfurt gained a well-earned win over Wehen Wiesbaden.

Viktor Skripnik's side were in action twice on Friday, the first was against fellow German side Cottbus. Zlatko Junuzovic continued his excellent run of form, thanks to yet another costless-kick goal, opening the scoring just after the half hour mark.

The lead didn't last long, however, as Cottbus hit back just after the break. A corner found Uwe Möhrle unmarked and he headed past Richard Strbinger, who had little hope with the low-lying sun. Fabian Pawela added a quick second, as he put the 3.Liga side into a shock lead.

Cottbus then missed a penalty, before Oliver Hüsing headed home his first Werder Bremen goal to restore parity. Werder would win the game late on; Philipp Bargfrede pounced on a loose ball to fire home, completing the comeback and winning the game 3-2.

Werder took on Al-Fujairah for their second and final game of the day, but it took a similar shape to the first as they fell behind again. The United Arab Emirates based side struck through Hassan Maatouk, calmly slotting past Ralph Husic, who was set up by ex-Bremen forward Boubacar Sanogo.

Though, the northerners hit back to score three goals within the last twenty minutes. Izet Hajrovic powered home with his weaker right foot to spark the come back, then a Felix Kroos double, one of which was a penalty, gave Bremen a 3-1 win.

Skripnik was well pleased with his side's efforts: "The important thing is that nobody has been injured, we implemented what we had planned. I am very happy with the two wins, especially since we came back after falling behind in each. The guys have shown a good reaction."

Eintracht Frankfurt also made a return to action following the Winter break, as did Kevin Trapp. The Eagles' first-choice stopper was called into action early on, making a fine save from Alf Mintzel.

It took until the 60th minute for the deadlock to be broken, as Suzuki's shot deflected past the helpless Wehen goalkeeper and into the net. Martin Lanig doubled Thomas Schaaf and his side's lead with twelve minutes to go, heading home Timothy Chandler's cross.

Images and quotes via Werder.de