Eintracht Frankfurt 2-3 Hamburger SV: HSV clinical in first half to claim friendly win
Image credit: HSV.de

At an impressive but equally eerie and empty ABZ Stadium, Hamburg made the most of a weak first half defensive display from Eintracht to win 3-2 in this afternoon's friendly encounter. They did however have to weather the storm in the second half, after two goals near the hour mark brought Eintracht right back into the game.

Eintracht were coming off the back of a 2-0 win against SV Wehen Wiesbaden on the 10th, whereas today would be the first competitive test for HSV and crucially Maxi Beister, who made his complete comeback after suffering ligament damage.

Fittingly, it was Beister who opened the scoring for HSV in the 11th minute slightly against the run of play, but Gideon Jung was impressive in providing for the opener, giving Hamburg a much needed kick start. 

Zoltań Stieber then added a second for Hamburg in the 24th minute as Rudnevs crossed into the middle and the Hungarian was able to finish to make it 2-0. 

There was another goal just four minutes later as Ahmet Arslan scored in a situation where Trapp should have done better, nevertheless the man who is not 100% certain to be a HSV player long term made it 3-0 less than half an hour in. 

Frankfurt got a consolation Ivan's on the hour mark when Maier was able to tuck home from roughly 10 yards out, following a feed from Russ on the right side of the box.

It was then 3-2 in the 64th minute as Russ provided again, this time for Lucas Piazon to slot home from the left side of the area, ensuring an entertaining last 30 minutes at the ABZ stadium. 

Both sides certainly have reason to question the officiating in the game, as Hamburg trialist Innocent Emeghara was denied a clear route to goal by the linesman's flag, despite being clearly onside. Then, Aigner of SGE was denied a good opportunity by the assistant, again being onside by about a yard.   

Lewis Holtby's game was ended early in the 78th minute when a collision in midfield left him clutching his shoulder with cries of pain. More information on his shoulder injury is expected after the game, but a dislocation appears possible. 

Maier missed a great opportunity in the third minute of stoppage time, steering his effort straight at the goalkeeper after a nice feed from Oczipka on the left. 

Hamburg were able to hang on and claim a victory thanks in no small part to their wonderful opening 45, but questions will remain about both teams' defences in what was a ridiculously open game with no team committing men behind the ball.

Breaks were common in this high-energy encounter, and it was a good workout for both teams as preparations for the second half of the season continue.