Mexico U20 2-1 England U20: Zuniga volley takes Mexico top
Mexico U20 England U20 Match Report

Second half complacency from England U20 saw them fall to defeat in the battle for first place against Mexico U20 in the Toulon Tournament.

Group B now sees Mexico sitting pretty at the top with one game to go. 

Duncan Watmore gave England the lead in the 15th minute and England continued to dominate first half proceedings after going in front.

Yet the restart saw something different. Demarai Gray provided an early chance of the Young Lions but Bueno rose above everyone else to head off the bar past Pickford to level things up for Mexico.

The quality of Martin Zuniga shone through as he volleyed into the back of the net, even though it took a deflection. Mexico's lead was challenged in the late stages by England but only from long range as Aidy Boothroyd's side fell to the Mexicans.

Chuba Akpom drove forward from the start, as seen so often for England and Arsenal, and did well to pounce on a mistake from the defence to get one-on-one with Lajud. His shot didn't replicate the run but Lajud had to provide a great save. After 6 minutes, England's attack was trumping Mexico's. 

The game settled into the battle of controlling the midfield. Neither could manage to bring the game into their hands.

Duncan Watmore took a tumble on the left flank before Mexico pushed up with the instructions shouted from the touchline. The pressure on England's defence didn't produce the goods. Cisneros' free kick was a terrible attempt.

Watmore had been lively in the opening stages and continued to be so. His energy was prominent as he pounced on a loose ball. The goalkeeper chased out to meet his run but a cheeky header over Lajud saw Watmore wheel away in celebration.

Akpom showed his quality, already displayed with his goals in the earlier group matches, in Toulon with a wonderful pass between the Mexican's legs. The skill resulted in a corner eventually but England wasted it.

Zuniga and Cisneros had a lack of communication as they mixed up the defending in the box. England couldn't capitalise though.

Swift strode forward in style, breaking into the midfield from a deep position but tried an outside-of-the-boot pass and lost possession.

Again, it was Akpom providing the best moment's for England. He attempted a volley on the right edge of the box but hit it wide of the mark.

Hernandez unleashed a wonderful shot from 25 yards for Mexico's first real chance of the game but it grazed Pickford's crossbar.

Bueno tried the spectacular with an acrobatic shot but it reached the sky in Toulon.

Cisneros almost gave Mexico the equaliser with three minutes before the break as he controlled the ball in the penalty area. Pickford was the English saviour as he saved well.

Aidy Boothroyd's England went into the second half with the lead, knowing a victory would see them top Group B at the end of the day.

Cisneros was replaced by Zaldivar for Mexico as Espericueta, after a quiet first half, was taken off for Zamorano.

Demarai Gray did brilliantly to skip past one player and deliver a drilled ball across the box but the shot from Swift deflected from the keeper onto Chuba Akpom and out. Gray had a quiet first half but within seconds of the restart, showed why he's one of the best players at the tournament.

Yet while Gray started quickly, Mexico were clinical with their first chance. A wonderful, floating cross from Hernandez saw Bueno rise in the air, above his challengers by a huge distance, and head it past Pickford, in off the crossbar.

The equaliser for Mexico spurred them on, driving forward from England's kick-off for a corner.

Dominic Iorfa pushed off the defender to offload to Gray but the cross was blocked easily by the Mexican defence as both side's urgently looked to take the momentum.

Moses Adejabo drove forward well but fell into the defender's foot, losing his footing, staying down for a few minutes.

A Swift free-kick, won by Akpom, was wasted by Boothroyd's England. Boothroyd's instructions became louder as England lost control of the game, the momentum with Mexico.

Swift came off for Lewis Baker while Demarai Gray and Duncan Watmore came off for 

Pickford flapped at a cross and Bueno won the ball for Mexico. He couldn't take advantage of it but the feeling of the game showed as England booted the ball upfield, their backs completely glued to the wall.

Zuniga put in a sweeping, curling, beautiful cross the far post as Silva ducked behind the England defence. Yet Stevens checked his back and found Silva before heading out for a corner in a great display of defending.

Rolando Aarons broke from the corner with exhilarating pace as his teammates struggled to keep up. Yet he lost control of the bal land Zuniga broke for Mexico. His talent shone through as he twisted and turned, cut inside and outside thrice before shooting, making a chance out of nothing.

Hernandez left the field for Tamay, Mexico using their final change with just over ten minutes to go.

Martin Zuniga had been threatening the England back line throughout the game but his second half performance needed a goal to make his effort worthwhile. It came with ten minutes to go as he pounced on the ball, flying in towards it, controlled it by keeping it in the air before striking it past Pickford, with the help of a deflection.

The goal to give Mexico the lead didn't see them sit back. Goal difference could be a huge difference in Group B come the end of the stages and England still couldn't regain momentum and control over the match.

Iorfa picked up a late booking as he got frustrated with Mexico's constant attacks. Bueno put in a cross-cum-shot that went just wide of the right post. 

With just three minutes to go, James Wilson came on for the cautioned Iorfa to inject some pace, fresh legs and some quality finishing into the side.

Yet Wilson wasn't the man to test and worry Mexico in the late stages of the game. Lewis Baker's edge of the box shot scraped the crossbar as Mexico looked nervy.

Callum Robinson had a golden chance to hit a brilliantly late equaliser and take England level on points with Mexico. The pass came from Wilson but he slipped as he shot to hit it wide of the right post.

Wilson did very well to squeeze past two players and his shot luckily reached Grimes. Yet the driven shot from him needed luck and it wasn't to be as the keeper caught it easily.

Mexico's free-kick was taken into the corner but England did really well to take it off them and earn a free kick themselves next to their penalty area. Pickford delivered a long ball to the opposition's box and Baker looked to be dragged down on the ball. Penalty claims were limited though and the referee ended the game.

England's naivety saw them leave the game without anything, despite taking the lead through Duncan Watmore. The lack of concentration wasn't a problem but the willingness to settle in defence from the restart rather than push forward for more saw Bueno head past Pickford. Zuniga's quality was the reason behind the winner, even if it was deflected. 

Mexico top Group B now and should finish the group stages in first position. Meanwhile, England are behind them now, facing China in the last group stage game.