0-1, min. 5, Burke. 1-1, min. 25, Osako.
1. FC Köln 1-1 RB Leipzig: Both sides preserve unbeaten records after hard-fought draw

1. FC Köln 1-1 RB Leipzig: Both sides preserve unbeaten records after hard-fought draw

It wasn't the best of games as both sides preserved their unbeaten records after matchday five

Brandon Sayer

The final match of the weekend in the Bundesliga finished in a 1-1 draw between 1. FC Köln and RB Leipzig at the RheinEnergieStadion.

Ralph Hasenhüttl's side made a quick start to the game, taking the lead in the 5th minute when Oliver Burke scored his first goal for the club since joining them in the summer.

Peter Stöger's side though showed why they have not been beaten so far this season as they fought back and got back on level terms when Yuya Osako scored midway through the first half.

After the goals, though, the game saw very little chances; it finished in a draw which sees both sides preserve their unbeaten start to the season.

Burke strikes early for the visitors

It didn't take long for the deadlock to be broken in the game, but the goal went the way not many thought it would as the visitors took an early lead over their unbeaten hosts. A lovely weighted through ball from Marcel Sabitzer found Burke in on goal and the winger's first time shot went into the net via a deflection to give the away side the perfect start.

Burke celebrates scoring his first goal for his new club | Photo:
Burke celebrates scoring his first goal for his new club | Photo: Patrik Stollarz / Getty Images

Unfortunately, they couldn't build on their perfect start as the Billy Goats started to get going after the goal with their vocal home support willing them on and if it wasn't for a couple of last ditch challenges at the back from the visitors, they would have been in to score.

Osako levelled things up for the hosts

The pressure though did finally pay off midway through the first half when Osako levelled proceedings. It came from the visitors giving the ball away in a dangerous area which led to Osako getting the ball in the box before turning two defenders and then rifling the ball into the net leaving Péter Gulácsi with no chance. 

After the equaliser, the game became very scrappy as both teams struggled to create any more decent chances as the game was very much in the balance going in at the half-time whistle.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the second half

Both teams came out at the start of the second half looking to get their noses in front but good defending from both sets of players stopped either team having any decent chances.

This pattern continued throughout the whole half as both sides huffed and puffed to try and get a winner but it just wouldn't happen for either side.

Other than some decent runs from Burke for the visitors which nearly resulted in a goal, both goalkeepers were rarely untroubled in a game which was a real midfield battle.

It's clear to see why both these sides are unbeaten at this stage in the season as both have a lot of good players in their ranks