Czech Republic under-20 0-0 Bulgaria under-20: Lvíčata's 100 per cent record comes to an end

The Czechs couldn't make it three wins from three on Sunday in a very lacklustre encounter.

Czech Republic under-20 0-0 Bulgaria under-20: Lvíčata's 100 per cent record comes to an end
Salon was the venue for a surprisingly lacklustre encounter between these two sides. (Photo: Toulon Tournament)
Czech Republic
0 0
Czech Republic: Vorej, Sterba, Kasa, Hulka, Falta, Tetour, Machuca (Granecny 64'), Lutonsky (Sykova 51'), Fulnek (Preisler 78'), Kodes, Chory (Pulkrab 50').
Bulgaria: Kitanov, Terziev, Galabov, Radev, Marin, Gamakov, Malinov, Vutov (Tsonev 41'), Despodov (Velkovski 75'), Georgiev (Kraev 56'), Minchev.
REFEREE: Yudai Yamamoto (JPN). Booked: Gamakov 33', Minchev 34', Marin 40', Chory 46', Pulkrab 81'.

Czech Republic under-20s saw their 100 per cent winning record in this year's Toulon Tournament come to an end on Sunday evening, with Bulgaria holding them to a rather dull goaless draw.

The first 0-0 of the competition's 2016 edition, it was a game of half chance and nearly moments, with the Czechs in particular lacking that clinical quality that has helped them to two wins out of two.

However, they remain well out in front at the top of the table with France, with Mali, Mexico and Bulgaria all tied on one point while the Czechs lead the pack with seven - the hosts one behind, but with a game in hand.

Bulgarians bright before Czechs settle

The Czech Republic might have come into the game as the team looking to maintain their 100 per cent record so far, but it was Bulgaria who started the brighter of the two.

In their last outing, the Czechs defeated a fancied Mexico side after scoring two goals in the first 15 minutes, but it was clear that their opponents' today had watched that game and were eager to avoid a similarly devastating start, with them attacking from the off.

With just a few minutes played, Aleksandar Georgiev flashed a shot across the face of goal from the left wing, while Kiril Despodov, on the opposite flank, was inches away from picking out Georgi Minchev to tap home, but the striker ran past the square ball and thus couldn't convert.

Nonetheless, it would be the Czechs who took control of the game once they found their feet, even if they made it to half time having created nothing with their possession. The main thing was that they had started to stifle their lively-looking opponent.

Goal mouth action at a premium

The game continued in the same vein after the interval, but Bulgaria again had the first big chance of the half when a long ball forward put Minchev through, who - for some reason - opted to try and lift a header over the goalkeeper. The striker had the time to bring the ball down instead, and was never going to lob Vojtech Vorel when he hadn't even moved off his line.

This huge let off woke the Czechs up then, who started to press for the opener they desired.

Great work by Milan Lutonsky saw him shrug off the challenge of his marker and dart into the box, but he was thwarted by Lazar Enev Marin just as he attempted to square for Petr Kodes to finish.

Seconds later, a fantastic delivery from Lutonsky gave Tomas Chory a brilliant chance to break the deadlock with a free header, but his attempt was directed well over the bar as one started to wonder whether the earlier game - a 3-3 draw between Mali and Mexico - had used up all of the day's goals.

With no other chances carved out as the game slowly drew to a close, they proved to be the case, with neither side able to produce anything worthy of three points.

Bulgaria could have won it in stoppage time when Daniel Tetour stuck out a leg and brought down Dimitar Velkovski in the area, but the referee waved away strong appeals for a penalty just seconds before blowing his final whistle, with the points to be shared instead.