Werder Bremen 1-2 FC Augsburg: Hong helps visitors win battle at the bottom

It was a massive result at the wrong end of the table.

Werder Bremen 1-2 FC Augsburg: Hong helps visitors win battle at the bottom
Image credit: kicker - Getty Images
Werder Bremen
1 2
FC Augsburg
Werder Bremen: (4-1-4-1) Wiedwald; Gebre Selassie, Vestergaard, Galvez, S.Garcia; Fritz; Öztunali (Yatabaré 61'), Grillitsch (Kleinheisler 81'), Junuzovic, Bartels (Lorenzen 88'); Ujah.
FC Augsburg: (4-2-3-1) Hitz; Opare, Gouweleeuw, Klavan, Max; Janker (Hong 86'), Baier; Esswein (Bobadilla 38'), Altintop, Caiuby; Finnbogason (Werner 80').
SCORE: 1-0, Grillitsch 43'. 1-1, Finnbogason 53'. 1-2, Hong 87'.
REFEREE: Daniel Siebert (Berlin). Booked: Caiuby (12'), Opare (50'), Gebre Selassie (68'), Finnbogason (70'), Max (72'), Janker (82'), Fritz (90').

Werder Bremen fell to a late defeat at the hands of FC Augsburg, as Jeong-Ho Hong meant a massive three points would be heading to the WWK Arena outfit.

Despite Florian Grillitsch giving Bremen the lead, Augsburg turned it around in the second half with goals from Alfred Finnbogason and Hong.

Werder rewarded for first-half dominance

Bremen began brightly and test Marwin Hitz early on, as the 'keeper reacted quickly to palm away Jannik Vestergaard's header. The hosts managed to bring the ball back into the danger-zone but Theodore Gebre Selassie shot past the post.

Werder continued to apply pressure on Augsburg with the long balls being pumped forward. Hitz and the visiting defence were doing admirably, although there were several close calls - none more so than Gebre Selassie's half-volley.

It looked like the half would pass by without major incident or an elusive opener, although Florian Grillitsch had other ideas. The Austrian midfielder picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area, before flicking it back onto his right foot and rifling a shot at goal. Hitz was completely unsighted and couldn't react in time. The Weserstadion erupted - as much in relief as joy - as a half-time lead was secured.

It was a hard-fought game at the Weserstadion. | Photo: Picture Alliance
It was a hard-fought game at the Weserstadion. | Photo: Picture Alliance

Augsburg turn things around

For all Bremen's dominance in the first half, that would soon slip away in the second. The hosts were slowly being pressed back by Augsburg and the visitors made it count. Caiuby managed to work some space out on the left to angle in a cross, and Alfred Finnbogason bulleted a header home at the near post past the helpless Felix Wiedwald.

The second half was proving a struggle for the two teams, as constant fouls and poor passing cut any real flow from the game. Set pieces were proving to be the best, and only, route to goal; Vestergaard rose highest to head at goal once again, only to see Philipp Max produce a stunning goal-line clearance.

It was edging closer to full time and neither of the strugglers looked like snatching a vital third goal and the three points with it. When Jeong-Ho Hong came off the bench late on, it was more to freshen up the tired legs than to score a winner. But just one minute later the defender stole ahead of his marker and scrambled the ball home.

Wiedwald came up for a last minute corner and headed just over, as a dramatic conclusion meant Augsburg would take maximum points from the game. Werder will be massively disappointed given the first-half showing, though the visitors took their chances and now move into 15th: a point and two places above Bremen.