Germany under-17 4-0 Austria under-17: Leverkusen lead German charge to quarter-final berth

It was a comfortable win for Meikel Schönweitz's side.

Germany under-17 4-0 Austria under-17: Leverkusen lead German charge to quarter-final berth
Atakan Akkaynak celebrates his goal. | Image credit: Sportsfile
Germany U17
4 0
Austria U17
Germany U17: (4-3-1-2) Bartels; Amade, Baak, Baack, G. Itter; Havertz (Kübler 49'), Akkaynak, Maier (Sonnenberg 63'); Beste; Otto (Baxmann 51'), Dadashov.
Austria U17: (4-4-2) Karalic; Zottele, Meisl, Maresic, Borkovic; Mathis, V. Müller, Baumgartner (C. Müller 41'), Meister; Schmid (Sittsam 41'), Arase (Fitz 41').
SCORE: 1-0, Meisl OG 3'. 2-0, Akkaynak 25' 3-0, Havertz 32'. 4-0, Dadashov 80+1'.
REFEREE: Mitja Žganec (SVN). Booked: None.

Germany required a win to make sure of their spot in the UEFA European under-17 Championships, and they got just that against Austria.

A super first half from the Germans saw them race into a three-nil lead, and that was how it stayed until virtually full-time.

Luca Meisl's unfortunate own-goal started the scoring with Bayer Leverkusen duo Atakan Akkaynak and Kai Havertz completing the first-half blitz.

Renat Dadashov added a late fourth in added time for Germany, who were comfortable from start to finish.

Germany storm ahead

Germany didn't have to wait long for the opening goal, and got just the start they needed after just three minutes. Yari Otto, who had scored in the two pervious games, pushed down the right before skillfully cutting inside onto his left. He curled a shot towards the far top corner but caught a deflection off Meisl's head to give his side the lead.

Austria didn't let their heads drop and showed a response worthy of the side that had maintained a 100% record through the first two games. A looping free-kick very nearly caught Jan-Christoph Bartels off his line, only for the 'keeper to recover in time. He then had Florian Baak to thank for a brave block from Kelvin Arase's sharp shot.

From there, Germany took a tight hold on the game and added a second through captain Akkaynak. Arne Maier, who was so impressive against Bosnia in the opening match, did brilliantly well to beat his marker before curling a pass into Akkaynak's path. He took the shot on first time, lifting the ball over the stranded Semir Karalic from 25 yards.

It would get worse for Austria before the break and, just seven minutes later, Germany made it 3-0. Havertz was picked out by Otto after Dadashov's initial shot was saved, with the Leverkusen midfielder's shot deflecting past Karalic. It could have been better for the Germans had Havertz's poked finish gone in before the break.

Second-half zips past without major incident

Andeas Heraf quite clearly wasn't pleased with his side's efforts before the break and made a triple substitution as the second-half got underway. Christian MüllerPhilipp Sittsam and Dominik Fitz replaced Christoph Baumgartner, Romano Schmid and Arase, respectively, in a bid to provide some attacking threat to the Germans.

However, that wasn't to be the case as Meikel Schönweitz's men continued to press forward. Jan-Niklas Beste had a cross parried straight to the feet of Otto before Meisl made a crucial block. Jano Baxmann, who replaced Otto just a moment later, was then denied by Karalic. Schönweitz also opted to bring on Jannis Kübler for Havertz.

Kübler nearly got on the scoresheet also immediately after coming on although his low shot was well-saved by Karalic. Germany's left-hand side continued to cause problems up until full-time for the Austrians, who really didn't threaten Bartels' goal whatsoever in the second period. Dadashov then tapped in from close range late on to make it four.

As a result of the win, Germany overtook Austria at the top of Group B and will now face Belgium for a place in the semi-finals. The Austrians have the unenviable task of taking on Portugal, who are yet to concede a goal in their three games so far. As for the other Group B tussle, Bosnia and Herzegovina claimed a 2-1 win over Ukraine.