Australia 15-6 Wales: Wallabies top Pool A after heroic victory
Australian players celebrate with each other at full-time (image via: Tom Jenkins, Observer)

Australia overcame Wales at Twickenham, on the back of an incredible defensive effort, prevailing 15-6 to top Pool A in the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The game came to life in the final twenty minutes, with Australia repelling a number of Welsh attacks close to their line, despite being down to 13 men for a period of the game with Dean Mumm and Will Genia in the sin-bin. 

With both sides through to the knockout stages before the game started, Australia now get the easier quarter-final against Scotland, whilst runners-up Wales must face South Africa

Foley and Biggar punish mistakes before the break

Australia took a 9-6 lead at half-time, in a tryless first half dominated by two incredible defensive efforts. 

Dan Biggar gave Wales a 3-0 lead in the fifth minute, which Bernard Foley replied to with a pair of his own kicks to give the Wallabies a three-point lead. 

Biggar then got his second kick just before the break, before Foley replied just minutes later with another three-pointer. 

The 100% tournament record of Biggar was finally broken on the cusp of half-time, which was followed by a first miss from the Wallabies, when Matt Giteau stepped up for a long-range effort. 

Courageous Wallabies resist Welsh attacks

After Foley had extended the lead to six with his fourth penalty of the night, Warren Gatland's men found another level and became camped on the Wallaby line. 

Toby Faletau lost the ball just short of the line as Wales went close to their first try, and with the penalties building up in the Australian 22, referee Craig Joubert had no choice but to sin-bin a pair of Australians in Genia and Mumm. 

With Welsh tails between their legs it felt like the pressure would tell and they would force the try, but some incredible tackling from the Adam Ashley-Cooper and co managed to keep Wales at bay. 

Having been camped on the Australian line for almost fifteen minutes, a penalty turnover at the breakdown allowed the Wallabies to relieve the pressure and wrestle back some territory. 

After an Israel Folau break, the ball came wide, and the Aussies awarded a penalty which Foley stroked over to give them a two-score lead. 

In the next Australian attack, Alex Cuthbert purposefully knocked-on and saw yellow, which all but ended Welsh hopes. They'll regroup though, and have a week ahead of a massive quarter-final against the Boks, with Australia gearing up for their Scottish test.