Leicester's opening night comeback win over Gloucester an excellent advert on return of Aviva Premiership

Leicester's opening night comeback win over Gloucester an excellent advert on return of Aviva Premiership

Leicester Tigers came from 31-7 down to defeat Gloucester 38-31 at Kingsholm

Tom Hiscott

After a summer dominated with talk of big money overseas signings, the Aviva Premiership returned with a strong core of British stars helping Leicester stage a remarkable comeback to defeat Gloucester.

The likes of Kurtley Beale (Wasps), Louis Picamoles (Northampton) and Schalk Burger (Saracens) are now plying their trade in England's premier division, bringing extra excitement to a competition which continues to improve. 

Friday marked the start of a new season, with a cracking contest at Kingsholm, where Gloucester managed to throw away a 31-7 lead to lose 38-31 at home to the Leicester Tigers. 

Scott double hands Glos bonus point soon after the break

With their opponents among the pre-season favourites, it was Gloucester who flew out of the traps and had the best of the opening half, building a substantial lead. 

Scottish international centre Matt Scott will happily admit that he isn't one of the biggest names signed this summer, yet his Premiership debut will be hard to top.

Matt Scott scores the Premiership's opening try of the season (image via: David Rogers/Getty Images)

After Billy Burns linked up well with Billy Twelvetrees, an offload from the former England centre close to the line sent Scott over for the competition's opening try. 

The Tigers hit back soon after though, with Burns' older brother, and former Gloucester fly-half, Freddie sending through a delightful chip to JP Pietersen, with the Springbok popping the ball to Manu Tuilagi to tie the score at seven-all.

Matthew Tait handed Gloucester back the lead with a poor pass which was intercepted by Charlie Sharples who scored untouched, with Ross Moriarty then using an exceptional offload to send Scott down the right-wing for the home side's third try of the half. 

Leading by 17 points at the break, Gloucester started the second-half just as they would have dreamed, adding a fourth try after another impactful moment from Scott. The 25-year-old's big tackle set the ball loose, with James Marshall pasing to Henry Purdy in space, allowing the winger to race away to notch the bonus point 44 minutes in. 

Tigers battle back to claim stunning comeback victory 

Seemingly down and out, Aaron Mauger's men began the fightback two minutes after Purdy's try, with their own debutant JP Pietersen dotting down in the corner, and when Matt Kvesic saw yellow there was more than a shimmer of hope. 

The resulting play saw ended with Sam Harrison crossing for a try, and with Burns' penalty the deficit was down to just seven. 

Gloucester then turned down an opportunity to take the lead past a converted try, and were made to pay moments later when the Tigers levelled the scores. A typically-rampaging Ellis Genge charge was followed by a chip by Ben Youngs which bounced perfectly into the arms of Pietersen, with his offload to Brendon O'Connor putting the flanker under the posts.

Sam Harrison was awarded man-of-the-match (image via: Michael Steele/Getty Images)

With a minute left on the clock, Gloucester were penalised on half-way, with man-of-the-match Sam Harrison opting to kick for the touchline rather than the posts. 

Harrison's touch-finder saw Leicester set up camp in the hosts' 22', and with backs joining forwards in an effort to maul their way to victory, the shaggy-haired Harrison was able to score the game's winning try as time expired. His subsequent conversion saw the Tigers claim the seven-point win, as they took away five match points to start the season with a dream result.

In the night's other fixture, Sinoti Sinoti's try helped the Newcastle Falcons defeat the Sale Sharks 19-17 at Kingston Park