French Open 2016: How the Brits have fared on the first two days

Despite rain interrupting play on the first couple of days, two of the three Brits able to complete their matches so far have progressed.

French Open 2016: How the Brits have fared on the first two days
Heather Watson made her way to round two with a win over doubles partner Nicole Gibbs. (Photo: AP)

There are several Brits involved at Roland Garros this year, though we have not seen too much of them yet due to the weather.

With rain effecting the schedule heavily on the first day of the 2016 French Open, only four hours of play took place, with the only Brit in action being Heather Watson, who took on Nicole Gibbs.

The Brit badly needed a win to gain some confidence and also ensure a trip to Rio in the summer. Watson showed nerves in the first set, and this wasn't helped by the rain. The British number two was up 3-1 and 5-3 but lost the set 7-5 as she struggled with the conditions of the court.

After a short rain delay, the weather forecast changed for the better for a while and when play resumed Watson came out firing.

The change in the Brit was astonishing, with her flying out of the blocks. Taking the game to Gibbs, Watson did practically nothing wrong as she broke the American and levelled up the match at one set all, winning the second 6-2.

In the final set, the weather started to take a turn again and this affected Watson more than Gibbs. The American broke Watson and was leading 2-1 when the match was suspended again due to weather. This is where play ended on day one.

More action to enjoy on a clearer day two

Watson and Gibbs were second match on court and scheduled to play to the finish on day two, which was much kinder to the tournament.

The Brit was 2-1 down from the previous day, but immediately broke to level the set. Gibbs was looking out of sorts as the Brit, her doubles partner for the French Open, continued to step up and hit amazing shots. Gibbs was once again finding the going tough and not able to overcome the Brit. In fact, Gibbs did not win another game in the set as Watson moved into the second round, taking the final set 6-2.

Elsewhere, Naomi Broady had a tough match up against another American in Coco Vandeweghe.

The Brit didn't get a good start and was broken by Vandeweghe, who went on to take the first set 6-4. If she was going to win the match she was going to have to do it the hard way, and Broady started the second set in a better fashion. The British number three managed to break the American's serve, and levelled the match up 6-3.

A one set shoot out would decide who went into the second round but Broady was not able to get on top in the end, with Vandeweghe taking control of the set and breaking the Brit to eventually close the match out with a 6-3 win in the decider.

Last on court for the Brits was Kyle Edmund, who was taking on qualifier Nikoloz Basilashvili.

Staying toe to toe, the Georgian fought hard against Edmund in the first set, which ended in a tiebreaker. The Brit cruised the tiebreak despite the set being level though, with Basilashvili unable to match him as Edmund took the set 7-6(4).

Kyle Edmund. (Photo: Sporting Life)
Kyle Edmund. (Photo: Sporting Life)

The second set saw Basilashvili once again stay toe to toe with the Brit, and once more the set went to a tiebreak. This time it was much closer, with Edmund unable to convert hi set points. In the end the Georgian secured the set 7-6(7) to level things up.

In the third set Edmund looked in danger as he was broken early. With Basilashvili serving for the third set though, his nerves set in and the Brit took his chance, breaking to level back up at 5-5. He would then win the next two games to edge the set 7-5, meaning his needed just one more.

This seemed to spur Edmund on, while the Georgian seemed to be losing the will to compete. The Brit sped out to a 4-0 lead in the fourth, before the Georgian finally got a game on the board in the set. However, it would be the last one Basilashvili won as Edmund dominated the set, taking it with a breadstick 6-1 to progress in to the second round.