Real Madrid Chelsea level at one after 1st leg 
(Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)

Real Madrid and Chelsea faced off at the Estadio Alfredo Di Steffano in the UEFA Champions League semi-final with the first leg in Madrid. The visitors got off to a great start and put pressure on Real Madrid right from the start.

Thibaut Courtois was forced into action early in the ninth minute on Timo Werner got a great first shot off but Courtois would come up with a great leg save. Less than five minutes later Chelsea hit pay dirt when Christian Pulisic got a great pass from a long header and went in and out deked Courtois and shot the ball into an open cage to open the scoring and take an early 1-0 lead.

Through 15 minutes of play, Real Madrid didn't have a shot on goal or on target and was on their toes as Chelsea was taking early control of the game and possession of the ball. Karim Benzema would finally level the game at one off a corner he would control the ball and get a great kick of the ball and into the back of the net.

Photo by Diego Souto/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)
Photo by Diego Souto/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)

In a game that started under clear conditions, both teams finished the first half under a torrential downpour of rain and both teams headed into the locker room tied at one.

The players returned to the pitch in the second half under clear skies once again and the rain had stopped. Possession remained at 50-50 with both teams trying to regain control of the game. In the 66th minute, Real Madrid made its first chance of the match bringing in Eden Hazard for Vinicius Junior.

Chelsea got the first serious scoring chance of the second half when Hakim Ziyech got a great shot on target that went high into the hands of Courtois. It seemed like Real Madrid was struggling to create scoring opportunities.

(Photo by Isabel Infantes/PA Images via Getty Images)
(Photo by Isabel Infantes/PA Images via Getty Images)

In the 78th minute, Chelsea earned a free-kick but once again Courtois was there to make the save and keep the game level. In the 88th minute, the home team was pressing looking for a late goal. On the ensuing corner, Rafael Varane was able to get a header on net but it was saved by Edouard Mendy the Chelsea goalkeeper.

Three minutes off time was added at the end of the second half but it wasn't enough as the ref blew the final whistle and both teams head into the second leg tied at one with Chelsea having the advantage on away goals.

After the match, Tomas Tuchel and Zinedine Zidane gave their thoughts on the match to the media. Tuchel seemed to be on an even keel as he was happy but not satisfied with the result.

" We played a very strong first half, we should have won the first half, unfortunately, we were a bit unlucky, we lacked composure and precision in the decision making in the opponents' box but we were very strong in the first half and unfortunately we conceded a goal from a set-piece otherwise we defended the match throughout very strong, we believe in ourselves and we will be ready for next game".

Zidane was also on an even keel not being too pleased but again was not satisfied with the result.

" I think it's a fair result, as mentioned the first half was not our best because we had a bit of difficulty but in the second half we played better so it's a fair result because we also played against a very good team and very fast especially the forwards".

The return leg is scheduled for next Wednesday, May 5th at Stanford Bridge and that match will decide who will make the trip to Istanbul to play in the UEFA Champions League final.