ATP London: Home hope Kyle Edmund stuns Gilles Simon

Kyle Edmund produced a fine performance to upset last year's semifinalist Gilles Simon in three sets 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 in the first round of the Aegon Championships at The Queen's Club.

Prior to this match, the pair had met once before, also on grass in Eastbourne in 2013, Simon won the match on that occasion in two tight sets, 7-6(5), 7-6(3).

Excellent start for Edmund

The opening game of the match was a long drawn-out affair, swinging back and forth to deuce. Simon was able to save a break point with a big serve down the T before securing the hold on his fifth game point. In the third game, Edmund inflicted more damage on the Frenchman's serve and continued to apply the pressure, securing the break of serve with a crosscourt backhand winner.

Simon raised his level in the eighth game. Last year's semifinalist felt hard done by and justifiably so after two incorrect line calls prevented him from completing the points when he was in control of the rally at 30-30 and 30-40. However, the Frenchman was able to get the first strike in on the replay to secure the break back.

After working so hard to get back into the match, Simon played a surprisingly poor game, dropping serve to love in a game packed with errors. Edmund made no mistake in consolidating the break on this occasion, serving out the first set in style to take it 6-4 as Simon was forced into finding the net with his backhand.

Bad day at the office for Simon. Photo: Getty
Bad day at the office for Simon. Photo: Getty Images

Simon too strong in the second set

At the start of the set both players traded breaks, with Edmund's failure to consolidate the early break deeply affecting him for the rest of the set as he very quickly found himself 5-2 down.

The Brit forced Simon to serve it out and had a break point opportunity but agonisingly netted the return of serve. The Frenchman was then able to serve it out and seal the second set 6-3.

Brilliant response from the Brit

After getting convincingly beaten in the last set, Edmund found himself under more pressure in a long drawn out service game in the third game of the final set. After coming through that tough game play was suspended due to light rain.

Upon the resumption of play, the British number three took full control against an out-of-sorts Simon. Edmund won all four games after the rain delay to secure the set and the match 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. A brilliant win for the world number 85 in front of his home crowd, he goes on to face another Frenchman in the form of Paul Henri-Mathieu in the next round.