Bournemouth 2-1 QPR: Cherries extend unbeaten start with an energetic victory
Getty/Robin Jones - Jaidon Anthony played spectacularly

AFC Bournemouth extended their unbeaten start as they defeated Queens Park Rangers by two goals to one. 

Jaidon Anthony stole the spotlight with a vicious performance; he opened the scoring early on with a clever, curled finish, before assisting Dominic Solanke for the second in the 35th minute.

Sam McCallum pulled one back for the visitors in the second-half, but it was ultimately not enough for QPR, who fell to their first defeat of the campaign.

Bournemouth now move up to second place and QPR drop into sixth.

  • Story of the match

The game started with spectacular energy. QPR initially seemed the better side, injected with a desire to shoot, to press, to introduce the ball to the box. Yet, in the 12th minute, the Cherries were one-nil ahead.

Rangers centre-back Rob Dickie was caught in possession by Jaidon Anthony, who charged into the box with intention. The forward dashed past Seny Dieng from a narrow-angle and drove the ball into the far corner. Bournemouth were on the back foot, but Anthony was on the front foot. 

QPR still had their desire, and Ilias Chair was causing problems. In the 28th minute, he received the ball on the edge of the box from Chris Willock. Chair attempted to bend it into the corner with flair, but it just falls wide.

Soon before half-time, Bournemouth doubled their lead. Dominic Solanke received the ball on the edge of the box and clipped it out wide to Anthony. The 21-year-old fizzed a low cross into the centre for Solanke to run back on to and slot home. 

QPR opened the second half with a well-worked move. The visitors played it out from the back before Osman Kakay swung in a cross.  It floated to striker Lyndon Dykes, who headed straight at keeper Mark Travers.

Bournemouth almost went three goals ahead. A brilliant counter-attack allowed Solanke to flick it back to the edge of the area to Philip Billing, who rattled the post.

QPR struck one back in the 57th minute. Sam McCallum found the ball inside the box; his initial shot was blocked, however, the ball fell to him again. He chopped inwards and thumped the ball in at the near post to give the visitors a lifeline.

Willock could have been sent off in the 70th minute, but he escaped with a yellow. He clashed with Bournemouth defender Adam Smith, seemingly kicking him slyly once the ball had went out for a throw.

Bournemouth were saved by Travers in the 80th minute. QPR defensive partners Jordy de Wijs and Rob Dickie went close in quick succession with headers, but the Irish keeper kept them out with two phenomenal saves.

Bournemouth, now unbeaten in seven, are already dripping with Premier League quality.

  • Man of the match - Jaidon Anthony

Bournemouth have a gem on their hands. Jaidon Anthony is gifted with focus, hunger, skill, technique, and vision. Here, he darted up and down the pitch, creating opportunities aplenty. His goal and assist was crucial in the hosts' win, and he is certainly one to watch for the rest of the Cherries' campaign.