Arminia Bielefeld 3-1 Werder Bremen: Junglas' Brace Helps Cause Major Cup Upset
Image via Kicker

In the most shocking cup result of the DFB Pokal last 16, hosts Arminia Bielefeld put three past Casteels on their way to a 3-1 victory over first division club Werder Bremen. 

Despite all of the early possession from visitors, it was evident from the get go that Bielefeld were not going to go down without a fight. In just the seventh minute of the match, Garcia had a shot saved from the left side of the target, the effort, however, was hit straight at the Arminia goalkeeper. Bremen continued to attack time and time again and in the 13th minute, Franco Di Santo had a header from the middle of the eighteen yard box saved well by Alexander Schwolow.

As the match went on, the hosts grew in confidence believing that their side might be able to get on the score sheet. With the Die Bluen faithful singing around the stadium, they did just that. Two minutes after the half an hour mark, Manuel Junglas would break the deadlock. Klos played a lovely ball to Schulz who continued the ball towards Junglas as he finished the move off emphatically. That would be the last good chance of the half as the teams would enter the break with the home side leading by that one goal.

Julian Börner got the first opportunity of the half just two minutes after the restart, but his header off of a Florian Dick free kick is hit too high. On 54 minutes down at the other end, Zlatko Junuzovic saw his first bit of action in the match as his right footed effort was tame and straight into the hands of Schwolow. Just three minutes later, however, Bielefeld would double their advantage off of a goal from Sebastian Schuppan. Off of a corner, Schuppan rooted Koen Casteels to the spot after he got his right boot off the end of the delivery.

Werder Bremen continued to go on the attack, but they just could not break down that compact Arminia defense as they through eight, sometimes nine, behind the ball. The visitors were able to peg one back in the 76th minute through Clemens Fritz. The ball bounced around the top of the eighteen yard box and it eventually fell to Fritz who hit it beautifully into the far corner of the goal.

However, the lead would be restored just eight minutes later. David Ulm was sprinting down the left side of the pitch after receiving a lovely ball over the top and was taken down in the box by Casteels, but the ref waved play on as the ball rolled into the feet of Junglas and could not miss that empty net. That goal sent the hosts into the last eight of the DFB Pokal, which is no small feat by any means.