Blackburn Rovers 1-3 Leeds United: Whites move a step closer to a return to the Premier League
Leeds United midfielder  Kalvin Phillips celebrates scoring his side's second goal from a free kick during the Sky Bet Championship match between Blackburn Rovers and Leeds United at Ewood Park on July 4. (Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport/Getty Images)

Leeds United took another giant step towards returning to the Premier League with an impressive 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

Goals from Patrick Bamford, Kalvin Phillips and Mateusz Klich secured all three points for Marcelo Bielsa's side as they look to return to the Premier League for the first time in sixteen years.

Adam Armstrong pulled one back in the second half for Rovers after Bamford and Phillips gave Leeds a 2-0 lead at the break, but Klich made sure all three points went back to Yorkshire.

Leeds take the lead early on

It was the visitors who took the lead very early as the seventh minute when Klich robbed Lewis Travis of possession before playing in Bamford who slotted beyond Christian Walton to give Leeds the lead.

Blackburn could have got a response four minutes later, Armstrong played through Sam Gallagher who could only fire wide before, Lewis Holtby played through Armstrong however, Illan Meslier managed to make a great low save.

Before Holtby fired an effort off the post, down at the other end, Tyler Roberts saw an effort blocked after working himself some room inside the Blackburn area.

Ezgjan Alioski saw a strike find Bamford just inside the area, the striker turned and saw his effort come back off the post.

Leeds double their lead just before the half-time interval

Roberts won Leeds a free-kick around 25 yards and very central of goal, Phillips stepped up and fired the set-piece into the top corner, Superb strike from the midfielder.

Blackburn respond brilliantly after the break

After the break it was the hosts who started the brighter and they won a free-kick around 25 yards and central of goal, Armstrong took the set-piece and found the top corner with a superb strike to pull one back for Tony Mowbray's men.

Leeds restore their two goal cushion

It didn't take Leeds very long to restore their two goal cushion, Harrison saw his strike blocked before the ball fell kindly for Klich whose effort was deflected on the way through, and found the back of the net, slipping it's way through Walton's gloves.

Shortly after the goal from Klich, Leeds should have got another goal when Barry Douglas for Luke Ayling who couldn't direct his header on target.

Ayling then played in Bamford whose effort went into the side netting from a narrow angle.

Controversy at Ewood Park

Bamford was played through on goal he managed to get the ball around Walton who then brought him down, just outside the area, Walton looked as though he was the last man however, the referee Robert Jones disagreed and only booked the Blackburn shot-stopper.

Liam Cooper then met a free-kick from Phillips but the Whites skipper could only glance an header wide of target.

That didn't matter for Leeds as they hung on a claimed a big win at Ewood Park to give them a huge step towards promotion to the Premier League.