Oldham Athletic 0-1 Barrow AFC: Bluebirds earn late win at Boundary Park

Harry Kewell's Oldham Athletic followed up Saturday's draw against Tranmere with a loss at home to Barrow on Tuesday evening.

Still, Oldham have only picked up one clean sheet in League Two all season and is that sorry statistic is one which does not look likely to change soon.

Barrow, with interim head coach Rob Kelly in the dugout, earned victory with a late goal after what had been a tight game up to that point.

The match

Kewell had lamented that his side "should have got more" out of Latics' previous two fixtures against Tranmere and Forest Green Rovers, but the same was not true on Tuesday night.

His own side's efforts - as well as those of the visitors - fell short of the mark and the final result was what Oldham deserved.

Dylan Bahamboula - who scored an outrageous effort on Sunday - was used in the middle and not able to fully showcase his ability. Instead, he was pegged back by being the only attacking threat.

Prolific striker Conor McAleny was pushed out to the left by Kewell, nullifying the threat that he has shown through the middle in previous fixtures.

At the back, Kyle Jameson stepped in for the suspended Sijo Jombati and proved to be more solid defensively.

Andrea Badan was often caught out, leaving gaps between himself and the aforementioned Jameson. When the Italian pushed up, it provided Barrow the opportunity to get in behind.

Harry Kewell's shouts of "Andrea get back" fell on deaf ears and the defender continued in the same way until he found himself forced off the pitch before the break through injury, replaced by Raphael Diarra.

Barrow's Neal Eardley came the closest to opening the scoring in the first 45. His cross-cum-shot nearly caught Ian Lawlor off guard early on, but the Irishman was there to parry it away.

Second half

After the break, the insipid display shown in the first half was not rectified.

Raphael Diarra slightly improved the defence; he displayed desire, made use of his physical strength and covered well for Harry Clarke.

Barrow's Scott Quigley who came the closest to breaking the deadlock in the 66th minute. After unleashing an effort from distance, it hit the bar, bounced off the ground and then hit the bar again before it was cleared.

Youing midfielder Harry Vaughan was gifted his debut when he replaced Marcus Barnes in the 75th minute, the latter pulling up with a hamstring injury.

Joel Dixon received a yellow as the clock wound down for handling the ball outside of his box, with some Oldham players wondering why it was not a red card.

In the 89th minute, Barrow forward Quigley found himself through on goal and converted through the legs of Lawlor, earning his comeuppance for the earlier chance which he believed had crossed the line.