Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Bristol City: Stalemate at Ewood park as both teams lack a cutting edge
(Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Tony Mowbray's Blackburn Rovers continue to struggle for form as they played out a 0-0 draw with Bristol City this evening. 

The Robins defended well for the majority of the game as Blackburn attacked with huge intent in large parts but lacked any real quality to cause Bristol City any issues. 

After a fairly dominant Blackburn display, Nigel Pearson's men could have nicked it late on when Farmara Diedhiou whacked the post with a brilliant strike from long range, but it wasn't to be for either side this evening. 

• Story of the match

The first half never really got going. Both teams started fairly evenly and Blackburn looked to go forward but Bristol City were happy to sit in and soak up any pressure. 

The best chance of the half came seven minutes in when Barry Douglas picked out Adam Armstrong with a lovely over the top ball but the Blue and Whites' top scorer made a hash of his effort, shinning his shot way off target. 

Bristol City had a penalty appeal waved away in the 12th minute when Steven Sessegnon collided with Joe Rankin-Costello in the box but the referee saw nothing in it.  

As the half went on Blackburn began to dominate proceedings throwing several waves of attacks at the Robins defence. Bradley Johnson came close in the 32nd minute but his goalbound effort was well saved by Max O'Leary in the Bristol City goal. 

Whilst Blackburn looked the more dangerous of the two sides, they lacked any real quality in the final third and didn't cause Bristol City any major problems. 

Nigel Pearson's men stood firm and defended resolutely all throughout the half with wideman Kasey Palmer looking the most likely for them at the other end. 

Neither team were able to create and real clear cut chances with both goalkeepers having very little to do in the first 45. 

The first half ended with Blackburn on the front foot as they attacked with a lot of intent but the second half started in a much slower fashion.

Rovers goalkeeper, Thomas Kaminski nearly got himself in a muddle in the 52nd minute when he tried to be too clever with the ball at his feet and just as it looked like Nahki Wells was going to capitalise, the Belgian goalkeeper stabbed the ball clear. 

Ten minutes later, Robins midfielder, Palmer had a great opportunity to open the scoring when Wells picked him out with a cross from the left but he could only direct his half-volley straight at Kaminski. 

As the half entered its latter stages, Blackburn began to pile on the pressure as they looked to break the deadlock.

A quadruple substitution by Mowbray was used for the final 20 minutes as he threw on Tom Trybull, Tyrhys Dolan, John Buckely and Sam Gallagher in a bid to swing the tie his sides way. 

Dolan looked to try and make things happend after his introduction but again, his lack of quality with his final ball meant Blackburn's chances on goal were limited. 

Lewis Holtby dragged a shot just wide of the post in the 83rd minute after Buckley wonderfully picked him out and then against the run of play in the 86th minute, Diedhiou stung the post with a powerful drive from long range. 

Blackburn continued to attack but despite their best efforts, they were unable to find a break through in the end. 

Next up for Blackburn is a trip to table toppers, Norwich City on Saturday as Bristol City welcome Rotherham United. Both teams will be hoping for win after a frustrating night at Ewood Park. 

• Stand out player

Barry Douglas - Blackburn Rovers

Douglas was one of Blackburns biggest threats going forward all evening. His commitment to attack was brilliant and on a number of occasions he put in some textbook crosses which were begging to be capitalised on. 

The Scotsman also attended to his defensive duties when called upon and was on of Blackburn's better perfomers on what was a quite lacklustre evening. 

• Takeaways from the match

Both teams lacked a cutting edge

There were just three shots on target this evening and all three were easily saved by the goalkeepers. 

Blackburn looked to create chances but their decision making in the final third let them down on several occasions. 

Bristol City struggled to create anything all night as frontman Diedhiou was feeding off scraps for the large part of the tie. 

Blackburn are struggling

Blackburn now have just one win in 11 games. They find themselves 15th in the table and have struggled to live up to expectations this season. 

With the squad they have, they should be doing better and the quality they possess in all areas of the pitch mean they could easily challenge for the play-offs if they were to perform consistently. 

Mowbray will now be looking to next season as this campaign looks to be all but over with nothing to play for.