Notts County 3-1 Wrexham: Wootton shines as Notts County beat 10 men Wrexham
Image via Getty Images/Jon Hobley

Notts County were 3-1 winners against Wrexham in the National League. Reece Hall-Johnson put the away side up 1-0 inside four minutes with a rocket. However two goals from Kyle Wootton and one from Jayden Richardson ensured the hosts got a big three points.

Story of the match

  • First Half 

The game got off to a fiery start, with tackles flying in from both sides, and it was the away side that took an early lead after four minutes. Right back Reece Hall-Johnson struck from distance with a rocket into the top right-hand corner.

However, the early drama didn’t stop there! County equalised from the spot after defender Harry Lennon handled the ball on the line resulting in a straight red card. Kyle Wootton cooly converted to get his 14th goal of the season – in one of the craziest opening 10 minutes of football you’ll ever see.

From there on, County seen a lot of the ball considering they had more on the field, and Wrexham goalkeeper Rob Lainton was called into action multiple times.

County came forward once again, this time Richard Brindley couldn’t keep his effort down as a powerful effort went way over the bar.

Just a few minutes later, the hosts took a well deserved lead! It was Wooton at the double as he headed his side in front. The 25-year-old really was enjoying himself out there.

It was 2-1 to the hosts at half time, with Wrexham still well in the game but down to 10 men. It was an electric half, with County deservedly in front.

  • Second half

The visitors had all the hard work to do in the second half being behind with 10 men.

It was hectic as ever and the first 10 of this half brought just about as much drama as the opening of the game! Wrexham were awarded a penalty after a clumsy swing of the leg by Frank Vincent. Paul Mullin stepped up and his powerful penalty was saved extremely well by 21-year-old goalkeeper Anthony Patterson to keep his side ahead.

Moments later, Elisha Sims had a golden opportunity to extend the hosts’ lead to 3-1, however he just couldn’t divert his header.

On the 67th minute, County went 3-1 up! Jayden Richardson scored a header at the back post. It looked as if it was cleared off of the line by a Wrexham defender, however after a further 15 seconds of play, the referee gave the goal!

Tensions were flaring up and booing came from the Jimmy Sirrel Stand where the Wrexham fans were situated. It’s been a long trip for the travelling reds and they can certainly feel like they have had the officials against them, however that aside they weren’t aided by the performance of their players.

Key takeaway

Ten men proved costly in the end for Phil Parkinson's men as that extra black and white shirt in the box was too much to handle.

Wootton's attacking  presence would have been a lot less of a problem had Wrexham had that extra defender on the field. 

They struggled in the air all game long with two of the three goals headers in and around the box.

MOTM - Kyle Wootton

Wootton's two goals were ultimately the difference at the end of the day, his work rate throughout was excellent and he could have certainly had a hat-trick.