Arthur Fery beat Giles Hussey 6-3 6-2 in the final of the M25 Sheffield to secure the championship after a week of tennis in the city.

The 20-year-old, who sat in 656th in the ATP rankings before the start of the week, was able to win six consecutive games after the match was tied at 3-3 in the first set to assert his dominance on the encounter.

The former world number 12 at junior level showed his class in a superb performance, eventually cruising to victory in straight sets in the ITF event.

Story of the match

Fery won the toss ahead of the match and chose to receive first.

Hussey hit the net with a forehand aimed down the line to set up two break points for Fery, but a strong serve out wide followed by an accurate forehand managed to bring the score to deuce.

The 25-year-old managed to continue his good start serving from the right-hand side to win advantage three times, but failed to close out each one having had momentum in each of the points.

On the fourth advantage, Hussey was able to hold his serve on the volley to win the first game of the tie.

Two unforced errors in Fery's first game on serve left the score at 30-30, but he was able to see out the game confidently in the end, winning the next two points.

The man who beat Sean Hodkin in the semi final of the M25 Sheffield event held his serve to make it 2-1 to Hussey soon after.

It was not without some controversy however, as Fery believed his opponent's serve had landed out, but the line judges disagreed, presenting Hussey with a 30-15 lead at the time in the game.

A great forehand from Hussey down the line brought up deuce on Fery's serve.

A wonderful passing shot from the receiver gave Hussey break point, but Fery roared back, winning three consecutive points to win the game and make it 2-2.

The 20-year-old, who won his first ITF event in August, had three break points but squandered his chance to take control of the opening set initially.

After a back and forth over deuce which saw both players have the advantage, Fery was able to break his opponent's serve to lead 3-2.

A break up, the man who had not dropped a set all week found himself 0-30 down on serve and failed to consolidate his lead, as Hussey made it 3-3.

The theme of both players failing to hold serve continued though, as Fery went ahead again.

Fery takes control

A wasteful slice long from Hussey allowed Fery to secure a hold of serve, leaving him a game away from winning the opening set.

It was a backhand down the line that allowed the FC Lorient President's son to secure the first set, winning three games in a row.

He was deserving of his 6-3 lead as well, despite a fast paced and even start to the encounter.

Fery had the first hold to love of the match to start the second set, coasting through the game which he was now in full control of.

It was clear how Fery had been able to beat Jack Draper in the past when he expertly lobbed the ball over Hussey to secure a break in the second set.

He led 2-0, and had dominated since failing to hold his serve midway through the previous set.

Hussey was beginning to lose his cool, smashing the ball away in frustration.

Despite the following game going to deuce, Fery was able to race into a 3-0 lead in the second set.

A forehand which went long from the Georgia State University graduate allowed Fery off the hook, securing a comfortable lead.

A fightback from Hussey

A failed lob from Hussey after some great court coverage from the other side of the net threaten to derail the Briton's first game of the set, but he held on to reduce the deficit and make it 3-1 to Fery.

The game that followed was tense, as Hussey looked to grow into the game.

Embed from Getty Images

An ace from Fery was cancelled out by a double fault, and in a similar fashion, Hussey's successful smash was only to reverse the damage of his failed lob in the previous point to make it deuce.

In the end, Fery managed to hit a winner from a midcourt ball to restore his three-game lead.

A string of unforced errors from Hussey gifted Fery another break, who led 5-1 and was a game away from winning another ITF event.

The youngster only won his first title at ITF level in Nottingham in August.

He was not able to see out the match on his serve, volleying wide to allow Hussey to pick up another game, which was arguably deserved given he had made the task of sealing the win much harder for his opponent.

Further pressure saw the 8th game of the final set go to deuce, but a failed smashed on Fery's advantage secured him the win and the ITF M25 Sheffield championship.

It was an emphatic win from Fery, who did not drop a single set throughout the tournament.

About the author