Scotland 39-16 USA: Exceptional second-half performance gives Scots second straight victory
Wingers Tim Visser and Sean Maitland celebrate after scoring for Scotland (image via: scottishsun twitter)

Scotland turned the game on it's head with a brilliant second-half performance to beat the USA at the 2015 Rugby World Cup. 

The game, which took place at Elland Road, looked destined for a tight finish when the Americans took a 13-6 half-time, before Scotland blitzed them after the break to win by a comfortable margin.

The introduction of props WP Nel and Alasdair Dickinson at the break gave the Scots an added edge up front, which put them on the front foot, where they greater big game experience shone through.

Americans make their mark 

After losing their opener against the Samoans in Brighton, this was almost last chance saloon for the Americans if they were to harbour any hopes of qualification.

They started the game with that do-or-die intensity which was needed to match their more experienced opponents, and managed to get a lead as the sides left the field for half-time. 

After taking the lead through AJ MacGinty's third minute penalty, the Americans were then penalised twice in quick succession to fall behind 6-3 after converted penalties from Finn Russell and Stuart Hogg.

Despite trailing, Mike Tolkin's side were playing some excellent rugby, much of which came through Seamus Kelly's bursts from outside centre.

The pressure soon turned into points, with Titi Lamositele crashing over from a metre out for the first try of the afternoon. 

A MacGinty penalty in added time of the first half gave the US a deserved 13-6 half-time lead.

Scots fire on all cylinders after the break

The Scotland team fired out of the traps once Chris Pollock blew his whistle to commence the second-half, with the Americans lead distinguished within eight second half minutes. 

First Tim Visser crossed after good work from Nel, and then his fellow winger Sean Maitland added Scotland's second quickfire try after hitting a perfect angle off Russell. 

Nel added Scotland's third try, touching the ball to the base of the post, and then it was Matt Scott who crossed for the bonus point try with 15 minutes remaining. 

After repelling a number of American attacks, the Scots broke down the other end and added a fifth and final try through replacement fly-half Duncan Weir, who replaced the injured Russell.

The Glasgow man was carried from the field with an ankle injury, and his fitness will be key for this Scotland side with Pool B games against Samoa and South Africa remaining.