Wigan Warriors 19-6 Huddersfield Giants: Warriors battle past Giants to claim Shield 
LEEDS, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 06: Oliver Gildart of Wigan Warriors is tackled by Jermaine McGillvary of Huddersfield Giants during the Betfred Super League match between Wigan Warriors and Huddersfield Giants at Emerald Headingley Stadium on November 06, 2020 in Leeds, England. Sporting stadiums around the UK remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

It was also Adrian Lam’s first bit of silverware since assuming the role as Head Coach at Wigan back at the start of 2019.

Story of the Match

Wigan started the better as they opened the scoring after just six minutes of play.

Hooker Sam Powell barged over for another of his ‘trade-mark’ tries for the club.

Zak Hardaker converted to open up a 6-0 lead.

The Giants tried a fight back and went close through Louis Senior, only to be tackled into touch thanks to Jake Bibby.

Wigan then dominated large periods of the first half, with the likes of Oliver Gildart, Liam Farrell, Bibby and Bevan French all going close but to no avail.

Then Huddersfield weathered the storm and equalised just before half-time.

A high kick from Aidan Sezer was spilt by French, only to be scooped up by young Sam Wood, who scored under the posts.

Sezer’s easy conversion sent both teams into the break at 6-6.

Second Half

The match remained tight, thanks to the heroic defensive work from the two teams.

However, the deadlock eventually broke as Man of Steel Jackson Hastings barged over from acting half, being awarded the try by the video referee.

Then Hastings turned provider, soon after, as his grubber kick was chased and grounded by Hardaker.

The latter added another two conversions to open up an 18-6 lead heading into the final 15 minutes.

The Giants kept on battling and went close a couple of times, only for Wigan’s water-tight defending to remain firm.

With only four minutes remaining, there was just enough time for Hastings to slot over a drop-goal that sealed the win, sending Wigan into the play-offs as league leaders and Huddersfield to their fifth consecutive defeat.