On This Day: Foxes return to the Premier League with victory over Bolton
Leicester celebrate claiming the Championship title at Bolton Wanderers | Photo: Getty/ Michael Regan

With the business end of the season underway, today's 'On This Day' article looks at two vital 1-0 victories and a draw in 2000.

The last game also focuses on one of the most entertaining Leicester-Forest derbies.

Title Clinched

After earning promotion a week earlier, Nigel Pearson's side travelled to Bolton Wanderers in need of a victory to be confirmed champions.

Lloyd Dyer's 62nd-minute goal was decisive in a contest the Foxes dominated throughout. 

The victory was the 13th win on the road for the season and the scoreline should have been more. Adam Bodgan produced some clever saves to deny Danny Drinkwater and Ritchie De Laet late on.

Embed from Getty Images

Argyle Win

With safety confirmed for both Leicester and Plymouth Argyle, City's last home game of the 2005/06 season saw the two sides compete.

Matty Fryatt's second-half header beat Romain Larrieu from Andy Welsh's cross to earn the three points. 

The Foxes ended the season 16th in the Championship, after the turn in fortunes from Rob Kelly's appointment following Craig Levein's departure.

Embed from Getty Images

Lennon maintains Villa run

When Leicester travelled to Villa Park in 2000, they had not lost to the West Midlands side since they returned to the Premier League in 1996.

Leicester-born, Dion Dublin, set-up the opening goal for Villa. His back-heel played Alan Thompson through and he fired past Tim Flowers.

Five minutes later, Matt Elliot volleyed Steven Oakes's cross in at the back post to level the scoring after being played as a striker by Martin O'Neil.

After the break, Paul Merson was unmarked to head Steve Watson's floating cross into the net and restore the hosts' lead.

However, the points were shared when Neil Lennon managed to turn in the box before arrowing the ball into the top corner.

Embed from Getty Images

Derby Day ends promotion bid

After Sven Goran-Eriksson took charge in October, the Foxes season turned on it's head and they challenged for the play-offs.

They travelled to the City Ground, knowing a defeat would end any chance of a play-off position.

Marcus Tudgay headed Forest in-front, before Matthew Oakley's fierce effort levelled for the Foxes.

Following half-time, Robert Earnshaw smashed the ball into the net following Chris Weale's save from Lewis McGugan.

However, from kick-off, Leicester equalised. After driving into the Forest half from the restart, Darius Vassell netted after Lee Camp originally kept Kyle Naughton's driven cross out.

Forest took the lead for the third time of the afternoon when Paul McKenna effort managed to sneak underneath Weale to break Foxes' heart.